Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super cheap ls1???

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super cheap ls1???

i have a friend that has a friend that has an ls1 that i will prolly be buying. the guys dad works at a dealership and scored a free ls1 longblock complete with oil pan and everything inside the motor. it is an 02 trans am motor. the only problem is that nitrius got the the better of one piston and cylinder liner. i'm buying this motor mostly because i need the oil pan, windage tray and pickup tube out of it. i'm gonna get it for 150 buck. i go look at it tomorrow, i'm really hoping it will be one of the lucky ones with ls6 heads.

heres my question, what to do with the motor. i will be having a complete ls1 sitting around not doing anything and i know i wont let that be for long. my grandpa has and oldsmobile that would perfect for this motor. so give me your opinions on what you would do with this. i mean anything and everything. everywhere from a super wild buildup to a moderate pavement pounder/DD. i'm really looking for some ideas. keep in mind that i will have to use factory block.

what i have in mind is a low compression blower motor set up for a blow through carb. possibly twins?? maybe 1000 at the wheels. this wont be a daily driver just a every now and then show off car.

any way just give me your opinions, be creative.

sorry so long.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:09 PM
12 Second Club

take a 5.slow and make it a 5.7 monster it's super light and noone will see that coming
Old 09-01-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

none came with ls6 heads...sicne you won't be getting those....some came with a ls6 block, but it doesn't make a diff froma normal ls1 block. if some nitrous took out a piston and some of the sleeve..your lookng at serious cash to re sleeve it probably...might be better off starting with a short block froma sponser.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
none came with ls6 heads...sicne you won't be getting those....some came with a ls6 block, but it doesn't make a diff froma normal ls1 block. if some nitrous took out a piston and some of the sleeve..your lookng at serious cash to re sleeve it probably...might be better off starting with a short block froma sponser.

+1 get a short block
Old 09-02-2006, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

read it again, i specifically stated that the block i have will be reused. i do not want to just buy a short block b/c that would be too easy and takes all the fun out of it. i always feel a small abount of pride when resurrecting something that someone else thinks is junk. its just how i am. so back to the original question, what would you do??
Old 09-03-2006, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeepinBash
read it again, i specifically stated that the block i have will be reused. i do not want to just buy a short block b/c that would be too easy and takes all the fun out of it. i always feel a small abount of pride when resurrecting something that someone else thinks is junk. its just how i am. so back to the original question, what would you do??
no fun? are you resleeving the block yourself? You should probably find out how much that cost before you decide to have fun with a bad block.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

money is not nearly as important to me as the pride that i take in doing things my way. if everybody did things your way, i.e. oh it's got a little crack, just get a new short block, then it would be pretty boring and after awhile everybody would be driving around with the same friggin lower end. that's not me.

so again what do any of you think i should do with THIS MOTOR???
Old 09-03-2006, 01:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

THIS MOTOR should become a coffee table.Theres a different in doing stuff your self and fixing things and then theres a waste of money and retarded.IF theres only 1 cylinder with a problem and everything else checks out OK then you could get the 1 cylinder resleeved which is ~$200-250 then ull need a new piston/ring set for that cylinder etc.If youre planning on a low compression setup for 1000 hp then this is not the block for you.for all you know the rest of the block could have distortion.Use it as a core or something like that,or get all the cylinders redone with a bigger bore.doing 1 cylinder for what you want is a bad idea.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 do something different like a 6.0 litere truck block w/ LS7 heads and low compression then turbo the **** outta it ..soemthing like that..but post pics and results w/ parts etc. and what it costs you..just and idea like you asked
Old 09-03-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeepinBash
money is not nearly as important to me as the pride that i take in doing things my way. if everybody did things your way, i.e. oh it's got a little crack, just get a new short block, then it would be pretty boring and after awhile everybody would be driving around with the same friggin lower end. that's not me.

so again what do any of you think i should do with THIS MOTOR???
are you retarded? If you want..resleeve it yourself since you have to have pride in your own work, but a motor damaged(a stock ls1&ls6) enough that it needs to be resleeved should just be thown away(because for the same price you could have a much stronger motor and some extra cubic inches if you want) because there are better options. If you really want to do it yourself and the expensive way..buy a ******* resleeved block that will handle more power than the block that you ahve and then put the internals in yuorself.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well what would be fun is to go and buy like an 85 mazda rx7 these are very little car and weigh nothing, perfect for an ls1 conversion, put an old sleeper man cam in it so it doesnt lope, oh man that would a a friggin sleeper
Old 09-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Throw it in a Jeep Cj5 and do wheelies...
Old 09-08-2006, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

i have another LS1 that i am puttin in my tj. but for this motor i was looking for something more extreme.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

put it on a motorcycle frame like the boss hoss did lol that would be sick