Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Sts Turbo Need Engine Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 05:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does Sts Turbo Need Engine Upgrades

I was reading about the sts turbo. i just want to know if any upgrades need to be done to the motor to handle the turbos psi???? thanks for any info.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes and no. Depends on goals. Try the FI forum.

~550HP os often described as the limit for stock internals. But many have had failures at less HP while others survive well above.

It's all $$$$$$$$$

Rear mount turbo's are a particular breed. For similar money it might be worth looking at front mounts such as TTI or Thunder Racing or a supercharger like a Procharger D1.

FI costs to make the most of it.

Remember a good h/c should see 430-450rwhp and still retain some form of street manners. Even adding a 100 or 125 shot on won't cost anywhere near most FI setups.

Personally I would love to go FI, but I really can't see the point unless I was aiming for ~650rwhp, but that will certainly require a built engine if it is to stand any chance of long term use.

BTW - remember all the supporting mods for a fast car, brakes, suspension and chassis. The more power the more you will need them.

Nothing worse than having over 500rwhp and not being able to deploy it and consiquently getting **** whooped by 420rwhp cars away from the lights.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

sts kit you don't have to move anything, makes great powe ron the base kit which is only 4k plus install then a tune, same amount of lag as the other systems, most states it'll pass emissions easily because it doesn't move or remove any of your emission systems, you keep ac and don't have to move anything around in the engine bay. 450 is more the safety limit..anything above that asnd your really on borrowed time, but the MOST important thing about any type of fi is tuning. you absolutly need a tune...if not a GREAT tune. the better the tune, the longer your engine will last.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5-8 psi and your fine, if you run 8+ psi you might want to run the meth injection kit and a FMIC.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:24 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSCamaro00
I was reading about the sts turbo. i just want to know if any upgrades need to be done to the motor to handle the turbos psi???? thanks for any info.
If im not mistaken the engine can only hadel 10lbs of boost due to compression. So if you want to run more then 10 lbs of boost yes if not then your fine.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Restricted User

about 8 psi or less you should be fine with a Good tune and valvetrain upgrades(srings,retainers,seats,moly hardened pushrods bla bla bla)...meth and intercooler would be a wise thing to do if you plan on upping the boost to 8 or so psi
Old 09-06-2006, 11:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton

Remember a good h/c should see 430-450rwhp and still retain some form of street manners. Even adding a 100 or 125 shot on won't cost anywhere near most FI setups.
I agree, but I think that a FI setup is alot more streetable than any H/C setup. Utilizing stock internals and still achieving 500RWHP, 25 MPG (keeping it under 3,000 RPM's) and similar supporting mods are required. I know of several 550+ and 600+ RWHP FI cars on stock internals, but like you said, for every one of those, there are 3 that blow up.