Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a stall kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 10:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a stall kit?

I am sure some of you guys are laughing at me? From reading it seems to really help out your 1/4 times and was curious what it is, what it does, etc>
Old 01-04-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

without looking i am guessing that you are referring to stall as in the rpm that the converter engages your automatic transmission. on a stock tranny the stall is about 1500 to 1800 rpm. moving this up by switching out the converter with an aftermarket one can be similiar to reving up a motor before you let out the clutch. i have left a lot out because i dont like to type but you can pm me if needed. if you do have an automatic, doing a converter swap is probably the best first mod to do.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:14 PM
10 Second Club

It's just converter swap. Look at a 3600 to 3800 stall for the street.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Resident

these guys are right. if you have any other questions, go to the automatic transmission section and just start reading threads. just about every post is about "which stall...". good luck.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Banned

A "stall" is an aftermarket torque converter. Every Automatic transmission has a torque converter, which converters the rotation of the transmission into drive force to the wheels.

The "stall" of a torque converter is the rpm that it goes to before the car starts moving. For instance if you floor a stock fbody, the torque converter "flashes" to ~1800 rpm before the car starts to move.

An aftermarket stall flashes to a higher rpm before the car starts to move (basically speaking). So a 2600 stall revs up to ~2600 rpm before starting to move the car.

The higher the stall, the more "loose" the car will feel. That is, more throttle and revs are required before the car starts to move.

Personally I'm not a fan of stalls. Sure they help quarter mile times, but they take away the feeling of "revs" of the stock motor. It's almost like a CVT transmission, where the revs stay constant even though the car is moving. But lots of people swear by them because they increase performance.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a good stall is a lot of fun
Old 01-05-2007, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lsx24

Personally I'm not a fan of stalls. Sure they help quarter mile times, but they take away the feeling of "revs" of the stock motor. It's almost like a CVT transmission, where the revs stay constant even though the car is moving. But lots of people swear by them because they increase performance.

I'd rather have a car that "is" fast than "feels" fast.