Sponsored by:

Stalling on Start up on Cold Mornings

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling on Start up on Cold Mornings

Hi Guys

Hoping I could get some input as to what my probelm might be.

When it is cold out, less than 30 degrees and has been in the 20s or teens at night, my 98 Camaro Z28 M6 will stall on start up. I'll turn the key and the revs will shoot to 2500 and then the needle drops and it just dies. I'll restart it and give it some gas to keep it alive, but it will jump betwen 2500 and fall to 400, and just flop up and down during the cold start cycle. The oil pressue gauge jumps all around between 40 and 60 during this time as well. This lasts at most 30 seconds then it idles at 1200 for a minute, then 1100, then finally settles at 900-1000 once it is warmed up. The problem does not happen whatsoever when it is is warm out, it runs like a champ. Also, I noticd that it only does this if I let the car sit overnight. For example, If I start it and go through the probelm, then drive to the gym, 3 hours later its still be sitting outside in the frezing cold but it will start up fine (1200>900 over 2 or 3 minutes).

Any ideas? I know Im pissing the neighbors off reving this thing at 8am to 3000 trying to keep it from stalling (condo complex).

Ive searched on this but couldnt find anything, maybe I just dont know what the actual probelm is to do a more refined search besides 'cold startup stall" etc.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oil pressure follows rpm, so don't worry about that fluctuating..

..to me it sounds like your IAC motor is sticking when it's cold, or perhaps just needs to be cleaned out. I'd clean it, if it still happens, replace it. It should solve the problem, it's on the side of the throttle body.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks man, ill look that up and then check it out.