Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CNC for one-off requests

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CNC for one-off requests

Anyone know of shops that will do one-off requests without breaking the bank? I am looking for a red anodized billet hold-down bracket for an Optima battery with no luck, curious if I could find a shop willing to do something like this (sponsors prefered, of course).
Old 02-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can always find a shop, but when you say without breaking the bank you need to realize a few things. You just dont chuck up a piece of aluminum and just start carving away. Thats not how it works. You need to design and then program and thats a skill and it cost money. Then the actual production can take place and thats more money. In fact its usually more to have a custom peice built than to buy one thats already been designed and put into production and for all the reasons I stated above.
That being said talk to the intakelbowguy, he might be able to work with you.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I know its not that simple, that is why I am doing my homework. I saw an article once about a firm that catered to hobbiests. You download their CAD/CAM software, plugged in the design specs, then upload the code. It was translated to a language the CNC machine would understand and they would cut it and ship it to you. Unforgiving, so get it right the first time, but the price was reasonable.

Been searching so far, but with no luck.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the elbowguy has a cnc machine or access, I was going to use his services for some valve covers and have him cnc an inscription on them. He was very reasonable in price.

If you could get the thing designed and download the code to a floppy you could take it to any machine shop in town with a cnc and have it done as well. But I'm sure you've already thought of that.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
You can always find a shop, but when you say without breaking the bank you need to realize a few things. You just dont chuck up a piece of aluminum and just start carving away. Thats not how it works. You need to design and then program and thats a skill and it cost money. Then the actual production can take place and thats more money. In fact its usually more to have a custom peice built than to buy one thats already been designed and put into production and for all the reasons I stated above.
That being said talk to the intakelbowguy, he might be able to work with you.
well it is that simple if you know who to talk to i work on a $500,000 CNC machine and if someone brought me a lets say a 12"X8" hunk of aluminum or whatever size you needed i could program and make it in about half an hour, ship it to get plated and then touch it up and there you go. aluminum would run you roughly $10 a pound plus we charge $50-60 an hour for milling ect... but i usually do things like that on my break for free with free scrap materials

but it answer the posters question unless you want to and are willing to spend roughly $100 to have someone one-off you a piece look up CNC Machinists in your area and tell them what you want. if all you want is a bettery hold-down that would be simple enough.