Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V8 with no power

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 02:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V8 with no power

I have 2000 black z28 camaro its stripped down completely I dont know if it was like that stock or what but it has no power options at all not even a button to pop the trunk and its M6. But my problem is that on take off I feel the power of the car the power that these engines are apparently famous for but once I hit 2nd gear it feels like someone stuck a hairball in the gas tank, its sort of like a the feeling if you were to hit a strong gust of wind blowing in the opposite direction. This continues on as I acclerate throughout the gears sometimes it lets up but most of the time it doesnt, I have a friend who has had a camaro ss a corvette and now has a cobra all late models of course and he has driven it he says compared to his camaro stock of course it has no power, he says its not making as much power as it should. Whats wrong with my car?

O yeah stock to stock is a 95 V8 Auto Cougar capable of beating a 2000 z28 m6 camaro?
Old 02-10-2007, 02:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have you thought bout a tune up? Plugs, plug wires, Sea foaming, radiator flush, synthetic oil, fuel line flushed, fuel filter changed. Try thse bc they are all cheap and i guarantee it will make a difference.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

answer to the last ?....not a chance
Old 02-10-2007, 11:57 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by Ouren
But my problem is that on take off I feel the power of the car the power that these engines are apparently famous for but once I hit 2nd gear it feels like someone stuck a hairball in the gas tank, its sort of like a the feeling if you were to hit a strong gust of wind blowing in the opposite direction. This continues on as I acclerate throughout the gears sometimes it lets up but most of the time it doesnt
Possibily a loss in fuel pressure. Maybe the filter is getting clogged, or an injector(s) needs cleaning/replacing, or the fuel pump is on the way out.

As stated above, I'd start with a basic tune up (plugs, filters, etc.) and then check fuel pressure under load and see what's happening.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Launching!

check the RPO codes on your drivers door panel to see if it is a 1LE model, that is the RPO code. Yeah just get a tune up and have plugs, filters, plug wires all replaced. also check your MAF sensor to make sure no debris is in your intake path.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:42 PM
11 Second Club

+1 on fuel pressure