Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help with LT1 Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with LT1 Temp Gauge

I'm getting ready to sell my 1995 Caprice 9C1, my dd for 7 years, having just replaced it with a 2002 Camaro B4C. I had new plug wires installed in the Caprice LT1 and after that the temp gauge did not work. It stays on the bottom cold mark all the time except when starting it jumps all the way to the hot end of the gauge. I don't recall it doing that before on starting. I thought the wire to the sensor might have come off, but the sensor in the front of the engine is plugged in normally. Is there possibly a different coolant temp sensor somewhere else for the gauge? I never had a problem with the gauge until after I got the car back from the plug wire installation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

The dash gauge gets it's info from the sensor on the side of the head on a LT1. Thje ECM gets it's readings from the one on the front under the water pump. When you shanged the wires you may have pulled the wire since theyre in the same area.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
The dash gauge gets it's info from the sensor on the side of the head on a LT1. Thje ECM gets it's readings from the one on the front under the water pump. When you shanged the wires you may have pulled the wire since theyre in the same area.
That's what I suspected. Thanks for the info. Is that on the driver or passenger side head?
Old 02-17-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

passanger.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
passanger.
OK, I'll go look for it. I sure appreciate the info. Experiencing having knowledgeable help so quickly available (on two recent questions) makes me eager to find someone else's question that I can answer. I guess that's the way it works.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

You cant miss it on the side of the head. You may just have to plug it back in or if it's plugged in check the wiring and wiggle it to see what it does. The sensor is pretty cheap at GM also.

Quick Reply: Need Help with LT1 Temp Gauge