Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Here

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Closet Homosexual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Here

Hey guys, I'm new here and I need some input. I'm planning on buying a LS1 F-body soon and I plan on modding it heavily. My ultimate goal is 500-550 rwhp with a supercharger, forged motor, and upgraded tranny, among other things. What I am wondering is how much it would cost (roughly) at a shop to remove the old tranny and engine and install the new tranny and engine. I don't have a lift so I don't think I can do this myself. Thanks guys.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:06 AM
Staging Lane

You can just get a engine hoist for fairly cheap.(Much cheaper then the bill of paying a shop to remove the engine) Disconect all electronics and any lines connecting to the engine from the body. Unbolt the trans and engine and pull it out. Depending on expereince with how much of taking the engine apart you can get it done in a few hours.

You wouldn't believe how really easy it is even for your first time to take a engine/trans out and put it back in.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call the sponsor nearest you. In Illinois, I'd call EPP or LS1Speed. Both have links on the right. --->
Old 03-13-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Livernois is also a sponsor but shop work you want is going to run about $330 per hp you want to gain.

Example: stock 243rwhp to 440rwhp $15,000 on proper set up with dyno and tunes (must add them into the equasion), parts you will have to replace you didn't think you would, ones that don't fit quite right may need machining and those little pieces that will drive you nuts adds up. Once you are done though you do have a solid set up.

You can drop the cost by DYI as much as possible but know what you are doing before tearing it apart yourself and plan on it being down at least 6-8 months!
Old 03-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Closet Homosexual

Thanks guys. I've been looking into it and I think I can do the removal and installation myself as long as I have a hoist and jack stands.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

dropping about 20 bucks on a haynes manual for your car would help a lot
Old 03-14-2007, 05:51 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GEARHED
Example: stock 243rwhp to 440rwhp $15,000 on proper set up with dyno and tunes (must add them into the equasion), parts you will have to replace you didn't think you would, ones that don't fit quite right may need machining and those little pieces that will drive you nuts adds up. Once you are done though you do have a solid set up.
I'm not following your logic here.