Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What to do?

I know this question must have been asked before, but alas the search isn't working for me. I was wondering about what I should do nxt for my car. I am thinking of buying a brand new GM Hotcam kit for my car from a freind for $225 (right in my price range). Now my question is, should I forgo the cam and either get a set of gears, or something else. All I have done is a lid. I know people will say get exhaust and a stall before a cam, but the cam is right in my price range and I don't have enough for either of those. Will getting the cam now be a stupid idea, or will it net me something. I know that it won't hit its potential unless I have exhaust, but will I get something out of it? Any help would be great.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Also, one more thing, I will also be doing a shift kit at the same time. So it not like the cam will be the only thing.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A cam maybe only 225 but ask and see how much it is to install... Unless your doing it yourself... For me to put in a cam was like 1200 including the cam
Old 03-26-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

I'm going to do the install myself.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Launching!

For cams its a personal preference but for me its go big or go home I think for a lot of people the hotcam just isnt quite enough. But if you want it to run like stock with more power w/o messing with your heads then it may be for you. Also seeing as how you're an auto maybe think about getting a bigger stall.

BTW your avatar is hilarious.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

oh, I wasn't asking about which cam to use. I like the price of the cam I'd be buy, but if I had more moeny, I'd buy a bigger cam. My question is, is it such a bad idea tto get a cam now, even though the price is pretty good.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

personal preference... Like he said go big or go home. If you wanna go bigger just save up for a little while longer. a bigger better cam wont run for to much more... I would have to have minie installed... I dont have a 2nd car
Old 03-26-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

go for it, the hot cam doesn't really need its own custom tune to give you power,(not that much bigger than stock), you'll get some more power from it. Although i like the idea of getting a stall first.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you haven't started modding I would get a set of 3:73 thick gears so you want have to change the carrier.I would wait until you get you exaust moddified before messing with a cam.And you really need to decide what cam you really want to put in before choosing a stall to match. Get you a decent lid+some 3:73s and you'll be good to go for now.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

Um... I have a lid... And the only reason I'm thinking about this cam is it's so cheap. I am going to go with a nice big nitrous cam later, but right now I want something that will give me a good kick in the pants, and one that I won't need a tune for right away just to drive it. This is my DD, so I need something on the mild side for right now. That's also why I don't want gears just yet. I will be getting a stall and LTs with TDs dumped this summer, but things are a little too tight for all that just yet.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:33 AM
11 Second Club

i think that cam will work with the stick stall not sure...id say do it for that price.ive seen cars pick up 20rwhp with the ls6 cam and the hot cam is a little better.most people will tell you to go bigger but for that price id do it.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

Yea, I think that the Hotcam is right for me right now. Because it's my DD I don't want anything too aggressive. Now before next winter I'm going to buy a commuter. So then I can park the SS and do a bunch of things to it over the winter. By then I hope to have a better job (more money). I want to do something like a turbo or nitrous. And having to deal with a cam specifically designed for one of those, and having to DD with that would just be stupid. I want to hopefully have about 350 rwhp after I get full exhaust, LS6 intake, and a tune with that cam.