Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free Mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Free Mods

A couple of days a go i saw a post with several free mods listed and was just wondering about the fenco or bellows mod (sp?) where to get it how much did it cost and so on and so forth.
thanks
Old 05-04-2002, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Free Mods

Fernco is a company that makes rubber couplings to attach 2 pieces of PVC pipe together. Rubber pipe with a hose clamp on each end basically.

Now, look between your Mass Air Flow sensor and your throttle body, and you'll see there is an accordian type plastic hose there, lots of ridges. Some of us have replaced the accordian hose with a 3" Fernco hose. It takes a little work to get on, I had to bevel the insides of the Fernco with a pocket knife. Don't expect a huge amount of improvement, this is one of those $5 mods, ever little bit helps type of thing.

If you want something fancier than a "sewage pipe" you can get a Baker Hose or SLP is selling basically the same thing but in different colors and it fits a bit better. Cost a buit more as well.

You can look on my page for pics if you still need help or want to see a pic.

J.
Old 05-04-2002, 10:05 PM
Teching In

I see that smooth bellows mod for sale for almost $50 on Thunderracing.com. Plus it claims it can add up to 5 HP. I saw your mod too, and will definitely go the cheap route, more HP or not.
Old 05-07-2002, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

The Fernco connector is not flexible. A guy who claims to have invented the "Fernco mod" and was first to describe it on the BB's told me it can cause the airbox lid to crack, or the lid not to seal properly. He said he does not have the mod on his car. I've got a Fernco connector sitting on my work bench, but I'm a-skeered to install it. I doubt it would help much anyway. Even advertizing blurbs for after market parts that do the same thing only advertize "up to" five horse power, which I read as "virtually no improvement."
Old 05-07-2002, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

I've had the Fernco on for a while, and have had no problems with my lid. I use a torque strap though, which helps the lid and car move with the engine.

J.