Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifter probelm? with an auto?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 05:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifter probelm? with an auto?

its an 1998 V6 Camero. when you go to push the button down to put it in drive or reverse, the button is stiff as hell. sometimes you have to slam your hand on it to get it down. any clues or hints on if it an easy fix or anyone else have had this problem with any fbody automatics? thanks
Old 09-19-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

The handle on the top of the shifter is going out. Plastic part inside that pushes the rod inside the stem down gets worn. Not sure what the Camaro **** is like but the one on my '97 V-6 bird had to be replaced. Firebirds have a kind of T handle with a button on the left side. The mechanism below the handle is probably the same. Look for a little clip indented on the side of the handle, pull it out and the handle should come off. Nothing major to worry about. You should be able to remove it and check it out. If it doesn't seem to be the problem you should take the console out and check for problems lower down the shifter. There is not a problem with the tranny.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

its a friends who i just flew to visit. i looked at it and felt of it and it seems to be exactly that, the button seems worn. does anyone know if there is a pin on the camero auto shifter? i didn't get a chance to look at it closely i just got back in town to delaware from Mississippi. i'll have to check it out when i go back down and try taking it off. thanks for the advice
Old 09-23-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remove the handle - pull the staple in front of the shifter and pull straight up - then try it by pressing the plunger and changing gears with it off to see if that's the problem. And it's Camaro, normally wouldn't say anything, but you did it twice.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

haha im an idiot at spelling sometimes