Sponsored by:

Patients pays off

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:57 AM
Banned

Location: Putting my feet in your couch, cause thats how im living
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patients pays off

I finally got my hands on a 02 WS6 M6 with 20k miles. Its red with black leather interior. I have been reading on this forum for a few weeks now and already know about the mods and things of the nature that I can do. I also have made good use of the " Search " option of the forum to answer alot of my ?tions. I am going to use this car as a street car mostly. It is a DD, and will be for quite some time. I already have SLP headers and a Y pipe with magnaflow muffler on it. ( Came with the car on purchase ) My question is pretty simple,

1. My friend wants me to let him cut my Ram air box down so that it takes alot of the plastic away from the silencer area. Is that a good idea?? he says its just as good as a lid and does the same dang thing.

2. How good is the WS6 package as far as suspension wise?? I want all your opinions cause I need to know if I need to upgrade anything there.
( remember this will be a street car and not so much on the track. )

3. My exhaust is run right from the headers, no cats and the headers go to my Y pipe then right to the muffler. I have 3" pipes all the way through. Is that junk or go ahead and keep it??

those are my questions and thank you for your support and time.

Zach
Old 10-15-2007, 08:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by What a Rush
1. My friend wants me to let him cut my Ram air box down so that it takes alot of the plastic away from the silencer area. Is that a good idea?? he says its just as good as a lid and does the same dang thing.
I didn't think WS6's had silencers. Well, if so, no anyway. Get a lid. Just tell him it's only $100. You can tell just by looking at a lid that they are shaped differently.

2. How good is the WS6 package as far as suspension wise?? I want all your opinions cause I need to know if I need to upgrade anything there.
( remember this will be a street car and not so much on the track. )
All F-Bodies are "pretty good" as far as I'm concerned. Talk to Sam Strano in the suspension forum if you want a car that runs on rails.

3. My exhaust is run right from the headers, no cats and the headers go to my Y pipe then right to the muffler. I have 3" pipes all the way through. Is that junk or go ahead and keep it??
Headers into an "off road Y-pipe (ORY)" into a catback? Sounds like how it's supposed to work to me! No, you're good here. SLP headers are said to scrape more than any other brand that I've heard on here, so that would be the only problem there. If they don't scrape, then you're good to go in the exhaust depatment.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

i think everything was covered by Sharpe but I'd suggest some sub-frame connectors and a strut tower brace just to give it a good feel. If your going to lower her just make sure u pick a good spring/shock combo.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

personally, on the lid vs. cut plastic thing, i would actually do both. the lid upgrade is mainly to improve the direction and smoothness of the airflow. cutting the plastic under the filter is a means of forcing more air into that airbox. two separate issues entirely. both will benefit you.

plus, the stock air lid is ugly as hell, the new lid will let you get rid of some excess plastic in the engine compartment.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

check this page for info on the "ram air" mod
Old 10-15-2007, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

Get a lid.

Your exhaust setup sounds just fine. Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

Also, it's "patience" not "patients" - unless you're a doctor talking about your patients paying off their bills.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:42 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

The "suspension package" on your '02 WS6 is exactly the same as any other '02 Trans Am/Formula/Z28, other than the 17 x 9" wheels, and the 32mm front sway bar. Nothing else is WS6 specific by that year. Just an FYI.

Oh, and get a lid. Great basic mod with no downside, affordable, and proven ~10rwhp gains.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
cutting the plastic under the filter is a means of forcing more air into that airbox. two separate issues entirely. both will benefit you.
Ohhh. Yeah. This guy's talking about the "free raim air" (FRA) mod. Yeah. You can do that. I haven't, and some people speak against it, but anything you do, there are going to be people who say not to.

For instance, slow1999blackz28 suggested sub frame connectors (SFC's). I would not reccomend ever buying any. But, talk with a sponsor about it. Take a look at Sam's page. http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbymodel.php?ModelID=7

Handling Package 1
Part #: HP1
Brand: Stranoparts
Price: $949.00
-Strano Performance 1.2" Lowering Springs
-Strano Performance Spec Revalved Bilstein shocks
-UMI Performance Chrome-Moly, double-rod ended adjustable Panhard Bar
Old 10-15-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Ohhh. Yeah. This guy's talking about the "free raim air" (FRA) mod. Yeah. You can do that. I haven't, and some people speak against it, but anything you do, there are going to be people who say not to.

For instance, slow1999blackz28 suggested sub frame connectors (SFC's). I would not reccomend ever buying any. But, talk with a sponsor about it. Take a look at Sam's page. http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbymodel.php?ModelID=7

Handling Package 1
Part #: HP1
Brand: Stranoparts
Price: $949.00
-Strano Performance 1.2" Lowering Springs
-Strano Performance Spec Revalved Bilstein shocks
-UMI Performance Chrome-Moly, double-rod ended adjustable Panhard Bar
What are the negatives with SFC?? I've never really heard of anyone saying not to get them and I felt it made a huge diffrence in my cars handling.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

SFCs are one of the first mods I've done to every 3rd & 4th gen F-body I've owned. I've always noticed an improvement in the feel of the car afterwards, and would highly recommend them.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Banned

Location: Putting my feet in your couch, cause thats how im living

Hey guys thanks for the info I will definately just go ahead and buy the lid.
And for the guy that enjoys flaming people on their spelling. Seems to me that I am on a computer and not a english test. I asked about my car not my spelling bee!!

Pretty soon on these forums your going to have people writing in their sig's how many wpm they can type. Jeez just read the freaking post and answer. Nobody wants to hear your bashing comments. You waste space, just my 2 cents.

Thanks again Director and I will also look into those SFC's
Old 10-15-2007, 06:29 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Don't worry about the guys correcting you spelling, you need to have to be thick skinned here because people like to flame all the time.

Get a lid, do the !FRA, look into suspension mods because everybody has their own taste and more so drag set-up vs handing.

GET RID OF THOSE SLP HEADERS. Those headers will scrap everything on stock ride height cars, I've seen it 1st hand.

3" cat-back is the norm. Only Mufflex has 4" cat-backs and its not really worth it, hell my 427 has 3" cat-back. You would have very little clearance for 4" pipe. You'd need the upper PHR from BMR.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

congrats on the car and the mods you have are great, get a lid, tune if you dont have one, and I recommend SFC's b/c they made a great difference in my car.

oh and get use to people ragging you about anything and everything...its how people get high post counts and feel like a big boy online.....
Old 10-15-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AK's WS6
What are the negatives with SFC?? I've never really heard of anyone saying not to get them and I felt it made a huge diffrence in my cars handling.
Added weight with out any real advantages. Most people cant tell the difference with or without them, and end up taking them off. BTW, your on stock shocks so thats problem #1.

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
SFCs are one of the first mods I've done to every 3rd & 4th gen F-body I've owned. I've always noticed an improvement in the feel of the car afterwards, and would highly recommend them.
3rd gen have a much weaker chassis than the 4th gens. And their not even really "sub frame" connectors anyway. Your problem is the same as above, you were on stock or not properly dampened shocks.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Added weight with out any real advantages. Most people cant tell the difference with or without them, and end up taking them off. BTW, your on stock shocks so thats problem #1.

3rd gen have a much weaker chassis than the 4th gens. And their not even really "sub frame" connectors anyway. Your problem is the same as above, you were on stock or not properly dampened shocks.
I noticed a difference just pulling out of the parking lot. I was lowered already, but I can't confirm or deny the difference they would make on a stock suspension.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:23 PM

SFC's make a HUGE difference. More so with t-top cars.

Plus look at cars without them and then cars with them, you'll see more body flex ripples along the rear window meets the rear 1/4 panels on cars without them.
If you think SFC's don't do anything then you are on some good crack....so puff puff give!!!

Peace,
Craig.

P.S. - My bad What a Rush, congrats on your ride!
Old 10-15-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys do a search:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....29&postcount=7
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....26&postcount=3
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...fc#post6709947
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=removing+sfc

The torque dimples have NOTHING to do with SFCs, a friend of mine has 3 point SFC and has MANY MANY more torque dimples (after putting them on) than me, and hes not making over 400RWHP. Its a faulty crumble zone for rear impacts, wheel hop mostly causes the dimples, not chassis twist. Oh yeah, and I have less(none) rattles than him too... hmmm, proper shocks maybe?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:57 PM

Yes shocks/springs and sway bars will stiff up your ride period. I know that 1st hand, and yes I notice little difference with SFC's on a car with those mods already, but there was a difference.

And I've seen plenty of cars without them having ALOT more ripples then one without. So my experience is real world and not reading off the web. And adding weight??? What maybe 10lbs? ...wow

Peace,
Craig.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:03 PM

BTW - Next time jack up a car with them, and then one without. If you jack up one corner of the car with them you'll see the whole freaking side of the car wants to come off the ground vs one without does not. If that does not give you a clue then I don't know what will. A brace is a brace and does help.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CRAGER

And I've seen plenty of cars without them having ALOT more ripples then one without. So my experience is real world and not reading off the web. And adding weight??? What maybe 10lbs? ...wow
100% agree Craig.