New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking about this 01 SS what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking about this 01 SS what do you think?

Ok i'm just going to post what the sellers post was, few things salvage title pretty bad thats main reason why i'm posting here to get opinion, 01 ss ls6 intake was taken off for some reason seller doesn't know and and ls1 was put on , front,rear, quarter panel were replaced and door on right hand side only,( a quarter panel is the strongest part of a car from what iv experienced here is his post. BTW there is a picture that the seller posted and it looks to be in excellent condition very nice pictures!

I'm looking into selling my 01 SS, it's a nice car but the only catch is it's a salvage title car. The specs are as follows-

-2001 Camaro SS (Real SS)
- 77,xxx miles
-Six-Speed Transmission
-T-Tops
-Charcoal leather
-Monsoon CD Player w/ steering wheel controls
-Sportline 2" drop springs with Bilstein shocks and struts
-Chrome ZR-1 Wheels
-New AC Delco pads and freshly cut rotors
-SLP Floormats
-SLP Lid
-Hurst "H" Shift ****
-Billit grill
-Red stinger painted on the hood
-New McLeod Clutch Master Cylinder
-McLeod Twin-Disk Clutch
-AC blows cold
-New AC Delco Fuel Filter
-Fresh Oil Change (Mobil 1 5w30)
-New MSD Wires
-New TR-55 plugs
-Hotchkis Strut-Tower Brace

I'm sure theres other stuff I'm forgetting, but this car is a fun ride and is pretty dang clean! The front right and rear right fenders/ 1/4 panels were replaced when the car was repaired. I haven't put the front SS emblems on it but I do have them. The only thing that's wrong on the car is that it's got an LS1 intake manifold on it, not the LS6 like in 2001. Come drive the car you won't be disapointed! I'd like to get $8,000 O.B.O for the car, call and set up a time to see it!

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by 85firebird; 12-10-2007 at 08:10 PM. Reason: picture added
Old 12-10-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm...I don't know man. I'd be really hesitant to buy a salvaged car. It looks good, but he's only got one pic. A lot of body shops do awful jobs of lining panels and doors back up.

I'd also have it checked out by a good shop/mechanic to make sure it's all good...
Old 12-10-2007, 09:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't spend $8k on it, max $7k. Have him check the heads and make sure they are 241's and not 853's, if they are the latter, that along with the LS1 intake may mean its a different motor all together. Was he the owner when it was wrecked? If not, the LS1 intake may have been removed by the original owner and sold just for quick cash, or removed if it was totaled by insurance, for the same reason.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

well this guy is local to me only a few towns away, he is on norcal ls1 where the car is for sale and a few people say hes pretty reputable, i know salvage is pretty bad i don't like the fact that the car as played with as well it means other things could be done that i'm unaware of.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you can look at it and have it checked by a good shop, and if you can talk him down a bit, it might be worth buying. But don't buy it if you plan on selling it and wanting to make any money off of it down the road. People will not pay much of anything for a wrecked car...no matter how nice it is now.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

offer him $7k if he doesnt take it give him you number and tell him to call you if he changes his mind
Old 12-11-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

Salvage title is a joke period. i buy savage cars all the time, and honestly i cant figure out who judges whether a car gets branded or not. i see come cars that are seriously F*$&#D up. I also see cars that have 35Kmiles on them that are in excellent shape, and might only need $1800 worth of work, and there good as new, but yet the get salvage. I also see cars that dont get salvage and needed to be. Honestly i wouldb uy one any day. It hurts the resale value, but you want a car that you can drive, and this is one you dont have to feel bad about. i think $8k is actually a pretty dam good deal. I would look the car over very closly, becuase you can pick out everything that was done, pay lots of attention to body lines, and try to put the car up on a lift so you can inspect the frame and underside. The weirdest part of the whole deal is....y did the intake get changed? that is what concerns me. you might try to pull the vin out of the ecm too just to make sure the motor hasnt been swaped.