New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad alternator causing bad gas mileage/power loss?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad alternator causing bad gas mileage/power loss?

I have been thinking lately about this.... The lights in my car flicker a ton when the car is just idling, even with the system turned off. So I was wondering about something....

If the alternator is not putting out the amperage it should, couldnt it affect how powerful the spark is that is being produced? And if that is true, couldnt this potentially hurt gas mileage?

Just something to think about...

-Scott
Old 02-05-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you sure those symptoms point to a bad alternator? How about a bad connections,loose ground,etc...Also GM's are known for the lights to go a lil dim and such sometimes (esp when using the power windows,or going from high rpm back to idle)

Take it buy the local parts store and have them run the machine on it. Then you can find out if it is in fact bad or not.

Also....how much has your mileage dropped? I big amount? Or has it even dropped?

Does the Volt gauge in the car fluxuate?
Old 02-05-2008, 06:52 PM
12 Second Club

when the car is idling every light in the car is flickering, the second the subs hit the gauge goes down below 13... If I'm sitting at a light and the subs are loud the gauge goes down into the red lol...

I know I need a higher amp alternator becaus emy amp draws like 100 amps of current, and I just got another amp but the lights shouldnt flicker so bad with the stereo off...
Old 02-05-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

My lights flicker in my car as well. Not like flicker, but more like dim repeatedly. The alternator puts out over 14 on the gauge all the time though. Someone made mention to me that I may have a bad diode.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sk8runeg
when the car is idling every light in the car is flickering, the second the subs hit the gauge goes down below 13... If I'm sitting at a light and the subs are loud the gauge goes down into the red lol...

I know I need a higher amp alternator becaus emy amp draws like 100 amps of current, and I just got another amp but the lights shouldnt flicker so bad with the stereo off...
Do you have a cap?

Or maybe add another battery

Quick Reply: Bad alternator causing bad gas mileage/power loss?