New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging problem or faulty reading?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging problem or faulty reading?

I've had the car almost 3 weeks. This week I went to the track for the first time. Coming home from the track that night I use my horn a few times (no, not racing) and notice my headlights dim slightly with each press (brights were on). Now I know the horn doesn't use that much power. A few minutes later I notice my volt gauge is in the red, and I start thinking the alternator is taking a dump. But it doesn't drop any further and its driving fine. Next the clock on the radio flickers off then back on a half-dozen times but with no pattern.

So I'm going down this dark two lane road, practically in the swamp, with no other cars on the road seeing all this happen within minutes. Freaky ****, right?

Once I reach civilization I pull into a well lit parking lot and turn it off. To my surprise I'm able to turn it on and off with no apparent issue. So I give up the diagnostics and drive the last 15min home. Then it starts throwing 'Check Gauges' at me on and off.

I checked all the 1,000 grounds under the hood and the driver side block ground strap and it all seems tight. I don't know where to look next!
Old 02-08-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you check your battery connection as well as the wire on the alternator?
Old 02-08-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

I did check the battery connection(s) but I have not yet gone under the car to check the alternator. I had plans to throw it up on the ramps tonight.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Regular

I crawled under today and looked around. Everything looks fine. Except I did notice the knock sensor and starter ground wires were being cooked against the headers, but the split loom saved them from any actual damage. I fixed that up and nothing changed. My voltmeter says 11.9 volts while running, so I think the alternator puked from a night of racing. I'll have it tested before I spring for a new one.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes your alternator is done, at idle you should be around 13.5-13.8 volts.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

Alternator it was! $160+tax for a new one at the local Advance Auto Parts fixed it right up.

In case anyone else cares, it comes complete with correct pulley and post nut, bolts right in.

Oh and I found small burned leaves in my old alternator...wtf