New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*Newbie* About to buy my first Camaro, what else should I look over?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *Newbie* About to buy my first Camaro, what else should I look over?

Hey guys, I'm brand new here. I have been looking at a 2002 M6 Z28 that is for sale near me. It has very low miles (34,000)and is being privately sold. The guy seems like a pretty down to earth guy (even thought you can never be sure). I went to see the car about 2 weeks ago and everything looked perfect. The car sounded nice, it drove great, etc, etc. I really don't know what I should be looking for with these cars though. I plan on bringing my one buddy who is much more car informed, but I was still looking for some advise before I buy the car.

Also, the car is close to mint, and the guys listing is 15,000 obo. Any suggestions on what I should be offering?
Old 02-17-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would definitely go for it. $15k sounds like a reasonable price. the miles are pretty low as well. but i would maybe try for 13-14k. as for what to look for i would just check all the fluids make sure they are all topped off. also look under the car make sure there is no leaks. check the windows make sure they roll up and down fine. thats just some of the stuff i can think of!! also check to see if he was the original owner.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

Thanks a lot for the reply. He is the second owner. The first owner had the car for 19,000 miles and then it was traded in through the dealership where this guy bought the car. I was planning on checking the fluids as well.

The car needs a PA state/emissions inspection. I know it is going to need new tires and the owner said he would get it inspected and put new tires on it and then I can make an offer. I was going to go for 13,500 as my offer maybe go to 14 or 14,200 tops. We'll see.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The very first thing I check on these F-Bodies is the radiator core support to see if it has been damaged. I also learned the hard way to look under the car for dents in the floor pans to see if it has been run off the road or jumped a curb or something.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Well I just got off the phone with the guy and we came to an agreement of 13,700 with inspection and tires. I can't really complain. Needless to say I am pretty excited. You'll probably see me around this forum asking more newbie questions. ^_^
Old 02-17-2008, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

1 picked up my 01 M6 ttop, loaded with evrything minus the traction control, 29k for 13.2k, thats a good price for the 02 with that mileage, ask what mods if any were done and listen for rearend noise, sound like a whining when driving...i would reccommend looking under the car also to see what it looks like you can tell alot by doing this, definately ask him for a history on the car with that low mileage it could have been wrecked and sat or just not driven much...sounds like a sweet deal one last thing on the test drive i would say get down on it atleast through 1st and 2nd to make sure its strong and no problems
Old 02-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

whats the chances of finding m6 ls1's like the one above
Old 02-17-2008, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

The car is bone stock. Nothing was done to it. I already took it for a test drive and it felt very strong. Didn't hear anything whining when driving it. I brought a knowledgeable friend with me to check the car out and he really couldn't spot any glaring flaw. Obviously you're always taking some risk when buying used, but this guy seems alright. He wasn't pushy or anything.

The guy was a mechanic. He recently moved into a nice home and settled in with his wife and son. He told me he just doesn't have a reason to have a car like this right now.

Oh and thanks for the replies guys. I have been hunting for a good ls1 based forum to start sticking with and you guys have been very helpful.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

all i can find are automatics which are butt
Old 02-17-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by straight_pipe
all i can find are automatics which are butt
Until you put a stall in one.

That said....I have an M6 in mine now.

to the OP it sounds like a good deal. I'd be all over it for $13,700.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like a great deal...i went through the same thing when i bought mine but in the end it is really is the guy trust worthy, do you feel your getting a good deal and do you think the car is in good shape...obviously your answer to all those is yes so you will be happy with your purchase, best of luck to you. the only mods my car had were a lid and a catback, which are must haves anyway. Im waiting till i pay it off until i mod more, im going to try to get it paid off within a yrs time hopefully...and M6's are very hard to find for that price, you will see autos for that price all the time but M6's are very rare
Old 02-18-2008, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. It might take about 2 weeks until I actually get this car but I will make a follow up thread with some pics.

As for mods, I am a major newbie. I really don't plan on doing anything major. Something very standard like what dshag has done. Maybe some very small and tasteful exterior mods (I just love how 4th gens look stock). I was toying around with the idea of getting old '69 Z28 badges to put on the '02. But hey, I am just gathering some ideas.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like a great deal to me.....get some pics of this beauty!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

lol i originally thought the same way, just a lid and catback but then you want more power and speed, next on my list is longtube headers and i havent decided on doing a y or x pipe with electronic cutouts
Old 02-18-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Veteran

If you drove it and liked it, like the price (KBB.com is a good guide) and want the car, then buy it! At 37K, there are no issues to be concerned about. Past 100K, there will be little things to start thinking about, like the alternator, I suppose. These are super-reliable cars with very few weaknesses.

Their slave cylinders are weak when racing at the track, but if you keep them bled and the fluid clean, they should remain tip-top. You can't "check" this before buying, and is only really an issue in cars that are raced or driven really hard on the street.

Window motors are junk. You'll be replacing them at some point. There is no way to "check" this unless you roll them up at they are very, very slow. But, new they are very, very slow so...

Many say the stock 10-bolt rear is weak for racing at the track when you put drag radials or slicks on back. Some say they are good enough for stock-like power. I've got headers and a lid and launch at ~2000 (quick, controlled release) with no problems.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

definately post up some pics once you get her!
Old 02-18-2008, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

I will definitely get some pics up asap. Now when I get this car I am wondering how I should go about getting this guy "tuned up"? The car seems fine, but it hasn't been run too much over the past year.

Any "must-do" procedures I should consider when I get this car? Just thinking general maintenance stuff. I was reading a lot about people seafoaming their cars and having good results. I just want to get in the habit of keeping everything in great shape and keeping it regularly maintained.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:53 AM
TECH Addict

Has it been sitting for awhile? Just a basic tune up that I always do when getting a new to me car is plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter and change all the fluids (motor oil, gear oil, tranny flush, coolant flush). That way there are no mysteries about fluid and filter quality.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:11 PM
12 Second Club

sounds like a good deal