New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.8 Vortec crate engine and box????

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8 Vortec crate engine and box????

Hi Guys I purchased a 4.8 Vortec crate engine over here in the UK.
It came complete with auto box ECU and wiring loom and a gas pedal (drive by wire). I was told it was a 2004 unit.

I have fitted it into the chassis.
I moded the alternator and steering pump mounting to reduce engine height and shortened the sump for ground clearance.
It's piped up (well almost).

I am now on to the electrics.
I have down loaded some wiring diagrams and searched on web sites for information on the wiring but I am still having problems that I'm sure you chaps will be able to help with.

Here are my questions.

How do I find out what the engine was intended for (the engine number is hard to read and seems to have been hammered out ?????), are there any other numbers to look for or parts that differ?

Is the wiring the same for all 4.8s no matter what vehicle they were intended for? (I have the details of a 5.3 swap and the wire colours and pin outs are different).

I have no TAC unit or connector, is this specific to an engine or car or model?
I have read a couple of threads on this and second hand ones seem to be as rare as 'ducks teeth' can the be obtained new? if so from where?

I have been in contact with a Guy over there who can re-program the ECU and he seems to know what he is talking about so that is sorted.

That's it for now. Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: 4.8 Vortec crate engine and box????