Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous HP vs hassle

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous HP vs hassle

Looking for opinions on how much nitrous one can run before it becomes a pain in the ***. Naturally the motor will be built for the spray, but how much can be used before it's more trouble than it's worth? I'm talking about a car that sees maybe 600 miles a year and two or three trips to the drag strip. I like going fast as much as the next guy, but am looking for a safe level if tuned properly. I do have the parts for a two stage (Daves plate) if that helps, and am willing to go DP if needed. Thanks
Old 11-09-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Come on guys, give me a starting point. 200rwhp, 350rwhp?
Old 11-09-2008, 10:19 AM
12 Second Club

Don't know what you mean by 'pain in the ***'. I think any amount is worth the hassle!! If you're talking about not having to do too much tuning or running race gas 100-125 is around the 'safe' limit. But if your motor is built to take it and the tune is on then it's not a hassle to go around the 200+ range like you said. Get into the 300+ range and stuff better be PERFECT...spot on tune, fuel, ignition. One little hiccup and it could go boom quick.

And I know some guys will argue but if you want little hassle go with a dry system like you said. Not as much jetting hassle and the bottle pressure doesn't play a big a role in the tuning like in a wet kit. You can shoot plenty big amounts on a good dry system as long as your injectors/fuel system are up to the task.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the reply. I don't mind using race gas or spending money on tuning. I just figured there's a point where it becomes more difficult and was wondering at what HP level that begins.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

You probably need to talk to your engine builder and ask what a safe level is. Thats what I did with my LME motor and he told me a 250 shot would be safe before head lifting issues become a factor.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

guys please note this is an LT1.....Dry is not as easy for us, and we don't usually have issues with the heads lifting.

As stated before up to 150 is fairly maintenance free...start going above that and you will need to stay on top of fuel octane, spark plugs, etc....its worth the extra wrench turning but it all comes down to how much the end user is willing to put into it.

Its just like asking about "street-ability"
Old 11-10-2008, 11:17 AM
FormerVendor

As long as you're not running a speed density tune, and you'd like to go dry, you can use the Interface to control your fueling. Its as simple as flipping a few switches.

As far as your questions about when it becomes a pain in the ***...you have to understand that I wouldn't want it to discourage you or others from taking the necessary precautions regardless of the size shot. But once you start to approach the 200 mark you really need to start to understand what your motor is doing and what it likes vs. dislikes. With that obviously comes the increased demand for time spent with the motor. Anything over a 200 shot, I always recommend a direct port as well. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask. Thanks.

Nick