Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for new nitrous solenoids? Rebuild? Pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 02:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for new nitrous solenoids? Rebuild? Pics inside

I took my old nitrous solenoids apart today to inspect them. What exactly should I be looking for? The solenoids are 3 or 4 years old and is showing it from the corrosion. They still click when powered. Are they still fine? What should I do to clean/rebuild them? Maybe time to replace? This is the 5177 kit so stuck open solenoids wont be a huge issue since they are redundant noids and the other will shut off flow. Just want to be ahead of the game. Thanks!

Last edited by Brian2006; 12-28-2008 at 02:22 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

That dosen't show anything. You need to unscrew the towers and inspect the pistons. To unscrew them, you can either use the right spanner wrench, or use jamnuts. Don't use visegrips, or you can colapse the tower.

Once they are apart, you should see if you have teflon plungers or the newer style (viton I think). If they are teflon, see if they are deformed from the seat. If they are the new style, then just make sure they look ok. and also make sure everything is nice an clean inside. If they are still working OK then I'd leave them, unless you really want to spend the $$.
Vinny
Old 12-29-2008, 10:36 AM
FormerVendor

Yup,

Just like Vinny said, you'll have to unscrew the towers. If you look at the second pics there are two little dots on each side of the tower (partly threaded shaft). There is a special wrench that can be used to unscrew it or if you want, take the two nuts that held the coils onto the tower and "double nut" them to unscrew it. Once opened you can inspect them thoroughly. Any questions please just ask. Thanks

Nick
Old 01-01-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

On a side note...I just rebuilt my solenoids (NOS #'s 16020 n20, 16080 fuel) w/ rebuild kits from NOS, and they came w/ a little tool that enables you to unscrew the towers.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Regular

man for the money ide rebuild them first noids are high