Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question...please read...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question...please read...

w/normal sulfur mixed N20 you CAN smell it right if the person was spraying?? I'm trying to win a debate and I've always known when a person w/racing n20 has sprayed cause I could smell the lil bit of sulfur I've got a few friends saying YOU CAN'T SMELL N20 ur crazy....

help me put this to rest...thanks.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats a good question, I personally have never smelled the sulfur and for that matter I fill my own botles and swear that there is no sulfur in my n2o. It plainly says nytrous plus on my big bottles and it come from the same place all the local speed shops get it BUT...I dont think they add the sulfur like they should. Maybe they just label it nytrous plus to keep you from sniffing it, but it sure doesn't smell to me.

Mabe IF I or the local speed shops actually had sulfur in it you could smell it out of the exhaust.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can't smell nitrous in its purest form as it is an odorless and tasteless gas. This form of N2O is strictly regulated for use in the medical field and what we are left to use is a composite form of N2O which has Sulfur added to the gas as a filler within the tank. It is not chemically bonded to the N2O molecules but simply a gas beside a gas that runs through the bottle within your lines and out your exhaust. Now if you can clearly smell the sulfur over the other monoxides and dioxides after the combustion process that is nothing short of Mr. Wizard as you would have to inhale straight from the pipes and deaden your smell sensory cells in your nose. So my best thought is no.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Personally the ONLY way I've been able to SMELL nitrous is by sticking my nose right in the fog out of the bottle, and waiting to see if the sulfur burned a little.. I've known nitrous cars on the street/track by how the vehicle itself reacted -- volume increase, sudden RPM jump, etc.