Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IAT Timing Retard Switch Works!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up IAT Timing Retard Switch Works!!!

when i arm the nitrous kit... IAT temps goto 21F ( threw a 10k Ohm resisted Wire ) with the kit off IAT was 66 Degress... what i thought was odd that as ur normal IAT went up so did the resisted... so i did a test with a blow dryer to see just how much the resisted IAT would change...

245F degrees IAT ( unresisted ) = 31F degrees IAT ( resisted )... that test showed me that all i have to edit are the -5c and 0c temps in edit to retard the timing when i turn on the nitrous kit.

Doesnt matter if u use the purple or beige color wire... i tried them both to see if i could get a constant.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

purdy pimp,

now hook up ATAP/EFI live and see how much timing it actully pulls.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:43 AM
Launching!

I've heard rumors that this method only pulls a max of 2 degrees of timing. I dunno if this is true or not but after hearing this I just dropped the cash for the Timing Tuner from Ramchargers. Id also be concerned if running a dry kit that some other functions are effected by reporting a warmer incoming air temp (ie fueling). Im not familiar with ls1edit or the fuel tables but this was another factor in deciding to buy a timing tuner.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SloppyRob
I've heard rumors that this method only pulls a max of 2 degrees of timing. I dunno if this is true or not but after hearing this I just dropped the cash for the Timing Tuner from Ramchargers. Id also be concerned if running a dry kit that some other functions are effected by reporting a warmer incoming air temp (ie fueling). Im not familiar with ls1edit or the fuel tables but this was another factor in deciding to buy a timing tuner.
on my car the 144 degree resistor pulls 3 degrees at WOT from 5000 rpm and up, and 5 degrees from 2000-5000 rpm
Old 01-09-2004, 03:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by T/A Medic
when i arm the nitrous kit... IAT temps goto 21F ( threw a 10k Ohm resisted Wire ) with the kit off IAT was 66 Degress... what i thought was odd that as ur normal IAT went up so did the resisted... so i did a test with a blow dryer to see just how much the resisted IAT would change...

245F degrees IAT ( unresisted ) = 31F degrees IAT ( resisted )... that test showed me that all i have to edit are the -5c and 0c temps in edit to retard the timing when i turn on the nitrous kit.

Doesnt matter if u use the purple or beige color wire... i tried them both to see if i could get a constant.
So is the 10K resistor wired in series, parallel, or wired so that it takes the place of IAT?

Also my car is currently running with approx 24 degrees advance both with and without Nos. I am running approx 100hp wet shot. What sort of timing should I be running?

Thanks in advance

John
Old 01-09-2004, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

with just 100hp u dont have to retard the timing... ive run 28 degrees timing, 91 octane and 150 TNT kit with no problems... TR6 Plugs...

If ur car is tuned for max timing with no knock, u dont have to pull timing with 100 pills. Technically u should for 150 pull 2-4 degrees but good gas and colder plugs no one i know that has run it has had any problems

but anyways nothing takes place of the IAT u still use it like normal. But when u turn the kit on it changes from the unresisted to resisted wire...
Old 01-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Thanks for that info its much appriciated.
I have read reports of cars improving their times by reducing the timing to around 15 degrees even with a small shot like I run. Apprently you get a significant increase in torque and impoved 60 foot but loose a bit up top.

Have you heard of this also or is this perhaps just hear say

Either way, am I running a safer set up if I do reduce the timing with an IAT tricker?

PS. I have found plenty of info on wiring an IAT tricker by doing a search. (Should have done that first before anoying people with old questions)

Quick Reply: IAT Timing Retard Switch Works!!!