Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using SMC alcohol injection as fuel for nitrous?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 10:04 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Using SMC alcohol injection as fuel for nitrous?????

I talked to a person at SMC and siad it would probably work ok, but the alcohol injection would raise the overall octane to about 104. I have the MAF kit from NE, and was thinking of bringing the single line from the SMC pump to the bottom "half" of the MAF kit, and the upper would be for the 200 hp single stage shot (NX tech says it is fine to spray 200 through one "stage" with -4 AN line from the solenoid to the nozzle). The tech guy at SMC and I talked about using the fogger-style nozzle in the MAF kit and figured it should work out pretty well. The SMC kit flows the alcohol at a highest rate of about 80 psi which should work well with the nozzle in the MAF, and is adjustable down on the SMC kit. We were worried that adding alcohol not only raises octane but would make the system run very rich (duh). One solution would be to put in a smaller fuel jet in the single stage "top" stage, and then the "bottom" stage would add the octane and fuel. I know it would take some dyno time to get the jetting right, but I plan on having that done anyways. The SMC holds about 1/2 gallon, which I would estimate to last about a full 15 lb. bottle on 200 hp setting. I haven't checked the price of alcohol/methanol yet, anyone know? I am pretty sure that the 150 shot will work fine on 94 octane and maybe 2 degrees of timing taken out, but the single 200hp shot will likely take some added octane.

What do you guys think? For a stand alone fuel system, it is only $399 for the whole kit (pretty cheap). Mabe for me, I may be beter of buying some NX fuel additive and taking out 6-8 degrees with my timing tuner. But for higher hp systems, like 250-300, it may be useful.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ttt on this one, I'm very curious as well.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes,Running alcohol is nothing new.You will need some dyno time to get it accurate.
My question is what is a smc kit?
Dave
Old 04-07-2004, 11:11 AM
SSU Moderator

yep. you can get dp systems for alcohol (bigger 'fuel' jets). I'm sure it would work awesome if you can get the jetting down.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

SMC water/alky kit dave. SMC is the maker.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ohhhh