Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on my NOS System

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help on my NOS System

I need some troubleshooting help on my nitrous system. When I went to the track last week, my nitrous system didn't spray. So I got messing with it today. Basically when you hit the switch the relay clicks but nothing happens at the solenoids.

What I have done to test:

I have traced all the wires and all look fine
I changed the fuse out
I By-passed the Fuel Pressure Safety Switch.
I have checked to make sure nitrous is getting to the solenoids

I have tried all I can think of. I can't remember if the solenoids click like the relay does or not. But it isn't clicking or anything right now. I have the NOS 5177 dry kit with the two solenoids and it seems that neither are doing anything. So I though it was a ground, but all my ground and power going to the relay seem to be fine and the fact that the relay is clicking makes me think it is a short to the solenoid. Could the relay be bad and still click?

This system is right at a year old and has only been sprayed about 5 times.

cliff notes

I turn the bottle on (have 950psi), I by passed the Fuel pressure switch, I walk to the front and push on the WOT switch. Relay clicks nothing else happens!!
Old 05-22-2004, 12:25 PM
Teching In

i will tell you this.... i have had problems with the nitrous solenoids from nos from day one..... it seemed like every year i was calling them for a new one or the dang rebuilds for them.. your problem most likely is a faulty solenoid...

Originally Posted by FirehawkNS
I need some troubleshooting help on my nitrous system. When I went to the track last week, my nitrous system didn't spray. So I got messing with it today. Basically when you hit the switch the relay clicks but nothing happens at the solenoids.

What I have done to test:

I have traced all the wires and all look fine
I changed the fuse out
I By-passed the Fuel Pressure Safety Switch.
I have checked to make sure nitrous is getting to the solenoids

I have tried all I can think of. I can't remember if the solenoids click like the relay does or not. But it isn't clicking or anything right now. I have the NOS 5177 dry kit with the two solenoids and it seems that neither are doing anything. So I though it was a ground, but all my ground and power going to the relay seem to be fine and the fact that the relay is clicking makes me think it is a short to the solenoid. Could the relay be bad and still click?

This system is right at a year old and has only been sprayed about 5 times.

cliff notes

I turn the bottle on (have 950psi), I by passed the Fuel pressure switch, I walk to the front and push on the WOT switch. Relay clicks nothing else happens!!
Old 05-22-2004, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ricekiller65
i will tell you this.... i have had problems with the nitrous solenoids from nos from day one..... it seemed like every year i was calling them for a new one or the dang rebuilds for them.. your problem most likely is a faulty solenoid...
I highly doubt both of the noids are bad on a brand new kit! Where did you ground your solenoids to? You aren't running the solenoid ground through a window switch are you? If you have a multimeter, you can check to see if you are in fact getting a 12v power out of the relay towards the solenoids.

If you are in doubt about your noids you can try touching fused 12v directly to them (bypass the relay) and see if they click/spray.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Draco
If you have a multimeter, you can check to see if you are in fact getting a 12v power out of the relay towards the solenoids.

If you are in doubt about your noids you can try touching fused 12v directly to them (bypass the relay) and see if they click/spray.
Thanks for the fast answer guys.

I went back out after typing this and thought about using a multimeter to see if the relay was kicking out power. Well guess what....It wasn't. A quick trip to a friends house to get a new relay and boom everything worked. I even forgot about just tapping 12volt to the solenoid and seeing if it worked (Which my buddy asked if I had done...duhh). I didn't even think that even though the relay is clicking that it could be bad!! Ah well, now I know.

Thanks guys!!