Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS402 tear-down

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS402 tear-down

Pulled the motor due to noise in top end. Approx 250 runs on 250 shot. Forged Motor with custom forged diamond pistons as per signature. Report from engine builder: #8 piston cracked, 4 pistons rocking so badly that they were hitting the head and top of cylinders ballooned. Block and pistons are scrap. I'm going to get a new block and pistons however I'm concerned as to why there is so much wear on pistons and block. I am pretty careful with the tuning and pulling plugs. Do members here have experience with these LS2 based strokers for big nitrous? Have they been holding up? I'm going to a custom nitrous cam from tick and was planning to run 300 shot. Any suggestions on the rebuild? Crank and rods are forged.

Last edited by CanadianEh!; 02-11-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the engine was not happy.... Do you monitor pan vacuum?

250 runs is a fair amount, especially 1/4 mile runs.

A piston that cracks has too much heat into it, how are the plugs coming out? Timing mark OK?

A piston that rocks in the bore has gotten hot, and probably too much cylinder pressure.

I ran a 408 that was on 300 worth on a plate, had no issues, but that was about 50 runs and 1/8 mile.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 129 Likes on 116 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Aluminum block ?
No sig.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CanadianEh!
Pulled the motor due to noise in top end. Approx 250 runs on 250 shot. Forged Motor with custom forged diamond pistons as per signature. Report from engine builder: #8 piston cracked, 4 pistons rocking so badly that they were hitting the head and top of cylinders ballooned. Block and pistons are scrap. I'm going to get a new block and pistons however I'm concerned as to why there is so much wear on pistons and block. I am pretty careful with the tuning and pulling plugs. Do members here have experience with these LS2 based strokers for big nitrous? Have they been holding up? I'm going to a custom nitrous cam from tick and was planning to run 300 shot. Any suggestions on the rebuild? Crank and rods are forged.
Hello, "250 runs on 250 shot" That's about or a bit past cycle life on that stuff.
With a cracked slug and them rocking so bad it sounds like the tear down and refresh should have been 50-100 passes ago. An O.E. liner and a hard ring = faster wear.

Just like any build if you use good parts and quality machining/assembly along with a regular maintenance and refresh program the engine should live for a good long time.

150-200 passes, send it back for refresh(rings/bearings min.). put another 150-200 passes on it.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LivernoisMotorsports
Hello, "250 runs on 250 shot" That's about or a bit past cycle life on that stuff.
With a cracked slug and them rocking so bad it sounds like the tear down and refresh should have been 50-100 passes ago. An O.E. liner and a hard ring = faster wear.

Just like any build if you use good parts and quality machining/assembly along with a regular maintenance and refresh program the engine should live for a good long time.

150-200 passes, send it back for refresh(rings/bearings min.). put another 150-200 passes on it.
Thanks for the responses everyone. I guess I got a little greedy between refreshes. Follow-up question: how much difference would a sleeved block from ERL make? I know the sleeve is stated to be 3 x as strong as OE and so I'm assuming could handle the abuse better?
Old 02-13-2015, 11:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CanadianEh!
Thanks for the responses everyone. I guess I got a little greedy between refreshes. Follow-up question: how much difference would a sleeved block from ERL make? I know the sleeve is stated to be 3 x as strong as OE and so I'm assuming could handle the abuse better?
What kind of pistons were you running in this build? Was it something custom for N2o? Or a shelf part # from someone?
Looking now I see you had custom Diamonds. That's something where we would like to know more about that custom piston. Like crown, skirt thicknesses, ring stack and location. Pin type and thickness

A Livernois sleeved aluminum LS block has many benefits. The ability to run a larger bore with an aftermarket ductile iron liner is a win win.
We use our own design pistons that will offer you reliability and repeat-ability pass after pass.

There are tons of options, we can help you home in on something.

Here are some pics of a Pro Series 429cui Big Bore LS we have ready to ship in the mid 9's on compression. An assembly like this is rated to 1100 Flywheel.
We can do something with a billet rod and rate the assembly for more power.
Attached Thumbnails LS402 tear-down-imag0794.jpg   LS402 tear-down-imag0793.jpg  

Last edited by LivernoisMotorsports; 02-13-2015 at 02:26 PM. Reason: edit question
Old 02-13-2015, 02:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ERL Sleeves

As others have said that 250 passes is a lot on a nitrous motor and you should refresh it sooner to avoid more costly issues and the fact you ran that many on a stock cast iron sleeve is proof that you did keep a good tune-up in it.
The ductile iron sleeve is not only stronger and harder for ring wear, but is also longer to reduce the piston rock at BDC. Also, ductile iron will handle a shock (such as nitrous, detonation,…) better that std. grey iron factory sleeves as they are brittle and tend to crack.

Quick Reply: LS402 tear-down