Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

N2O refill stations

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 10:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N2O refill stations

Looking to start refilling my own bottles. I'm doing about 2 5lb bottles per week. I can get 50 lb bottles from a local gas house.

Basically, at what rate of consumption does it make sense to get your own refill station?

In looking at refill stations on the net, there's a few different brands and configurations. There's an inverted type that is cheap, but there's no scale. How important is the scale? I'd be seriously concerned with overfilling or underfilling if its hot outside (Tejas! Yee haw!)

I also noticed that kits come with 1 of 2 types of pumps. There's the square NOS branded pumps and one that looks like a brick. Anyone have experience with these two pumps?
Old 02-26-2016, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Scale is critical

You don't need a pump, but they do have benefits.

You can use the thermal/transfer method, you would lose a few pounds from the mother bottle, but only need to freeze your small bottles and use a heating pad on the mother bottle....
Old 02-26-2016, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Well with the costs of a heating pad and lost N2O from purging, won't that even out with the price of a pump?

Does the freezing technique work well on 5 lb cylinders? I thought the larger the cylinder, the less it worked?
Old 02-26-2016, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Doesn't matter what size it is. Gas wants to flow from hot to cold. Nitrous outlet has a transfer line kit. Can search in the nitrous section. Cheap reliable way. Freeze bottles or bucket of ice water and she will flow. Like said scale is crucial.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Doesn't matter what size it is. Gas wants to flow from hot to cold. Nitrous outlet has a transfer line kit. Can search in the nitrous section. Cheap reliable way. Freeze bottles or bucket of ice water and she will flow. Like said scale is crucial.
Its more about pressure than temperature... but overall same effect.

ARC makes 120v 900w heating pad with velcro strap.. this will help get the mother bottle pressure a bit higher, and remove the cooling that happens as nitrous is leaving it.

as for 5lb bottles, yes. it will work for any bottle... just freeze it, and the pressure will go down, a simple transfer line and youre in business.

Now, without the heater on the mother bottle, youll get about 40lbs out of the 50lber... with the pump maybe 45lbs if youre lucky.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ATwelveSec02Z28

Now, without the heater on the mother bottle, youll get about 40lbs out of the 50lber... with the pump maybe 45lbs if youre lucky.

I assume you can't extract the full 50 lbs because of the sipper tube height. They're usually a few inches from the bottom of the cyl so its impossible to pick it all up.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mothers wont have a siphon tube, you stand them upside down.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ZackMorris
Mothers wont have a siphon tube, you stand them upside down.
Not always true.... the ones I get have siphon tubes.

and Yes the siphon tube will stop you from getting every pound out, also net losses from the transfer line when you disconnect, and evaporative loss as the liquid level in mother bottle goes down, some liquid evaporates to fill the head space.

Quick Reply: N2O refill stations