Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMN Windows Switch W/1st Gear L/O Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BMN Windows Switch W/1st Gear L/O Questions

Have a BMN Window Switch in the box at home waiting to get some free time to get this all installed.

I have a few quesitons

1. How exactly does it lock out 1st Gear? How is that feature Triggered by the BMN Unit? I am just curious and don't really get it.

2. How do you change the RPM's on the unit & How Hard is this to do?
What specifacally do you do? (Unscrew a few screws, pop off a cover etc etc) and then turn a dial that has numbers on it?
3. I also see people talking about 4 and 6 Cylinder Mode. Don't WE all use 8 Cylinder since we have 8 cylinders

I haven't examined mien yet and wanted to know from someone who has one.
Also, how do you like it?????????????

I loved the idea of the MSD Digital, easy to change and SEE, but with a 4,000 stall and a lot of power, I needed the Option for the 1st gear lockout. If that MSD Digital had a 1st gear lockout they would sell more, but I am sure BMN is a Great Unit. It is just a little newer and that is the reason for my questions.

Thanks

The Bandit

Her are a few Pics:

Old 08-16-2005, 01:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2001 Red Coupe Bandit
Have a BMN Window Switch in the box at home waiting to get some free time to get this all installed.

I have a few quesitons

1. How exactly does it lock out 1st Gear? How is that feature Triggered by the BMN Unit? I am just curious and don't really get it.

2. How do you change the RPM's on the unit & How Hard is this to do?
What specifacally do you do? (Unscrew a few screws, pop off a cover etc etc) and then turn a dial that has numbers on it?
3. I also see people talking about 4 and 6 Cylinder Mode. Don't WE all use 8 Cylinder since we have 8 cylinders

I haven't examined mien yet and wanted to know from someone who has one.
Also, how do you like it?????????????

I loved the idea of the MSD Digital, easy to change and SEE, but with a 4,000 stall and a lot of power, I needed the Option for the 1st gear lockout. If that MSD Digital had a 1st gear lockout they would sell more, but I am sure BMN is a Great Unit. It is just a little newer and that is the reason for my questions.

Thanks

The Bandit

Her are a few Pics:

1. First gear Lock-Out (Right off the BMN website)

When the Lock-Out is “on” or “activated”, it will not allow the nitrous to activate until you have went all the way through first gear and reached the turn off rpm limit. The turn off rpm limit must be reached before shifting into second gear or the Nitro Control will not switch into active mode. Simply put, do not "short-shift" into second gear or no nitrous will spray until you shift into third! This situation can be avoided by selecting a turn off rpm that is 100 to 200 rpm before your shift point. Another way to prevent this is to take advantage of the built in shift light output. Using a shift light will not only eliminate a short shift into second, it will also make your shifts more consistent and increase your saftey by allowing you to keep your eyes on the track and not your dash. Once the Nitro Control reads the first to second shift, it will remain active through third, fourth, and fifth gears, etc., (even if short-shifted) until you apply the brakes at the end of your run. When you apply your brakes it resets the unit and the 1st gear lockout.

2. You can see how to change the RPM just by the pictures you included on your post. It's very easy, just pop the cover and turn some dials with numbers.

3. It doesn't go on 8 cylinder mode with the LS1. I believe its because of how the PCM reads/sends the tach signal. It goes in 4 cylinder mode.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When the Lock-Out is “on” or “activated”, it will not allow the nitrous to activate until you have went all the way through first gear and reached the turn off rpm limit. The turn off rpm limit must be reached before shifting into second gear or the Nitro Control will not switch into active mode.

Thanks, but I can read as well, I saw this, but HOW does it know I shifted out of 1st, or how does ity know I am in 1st???

What is it wired up to that tells the unit this???

Thanks
Old 08-16-2005, 08:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2001 Red Coupe Bandit
When the Lock-Out is “on” or “activated”, it will not allow the nitrous to activate until you have went all the way through first gear and reached the turn off rpm limit. The turn off rpm limit must be reached before shifting into second gear or the Nitro Control will not switch into active mode.

Thanks, but I can read as well, I saw this, but HOW does it know I shifted out of 1st, or how does ity know I am in 1st???

What is it wired up to that tells the unit this???

Thanks
It does not know what gear you are in. All it does when lock out is on is it keeps the nitrous off until after it sees the engine at the top rpm of the window switch (ws) setting for the first time. Then it will activate in the next gear. So if you took off is 1st gear and shifted befor you got to the top ws setting then you go to 2nd and go to the top ws setting, then it will activate the nitrous in 3rd gear.

It really has no way of knowing what gear you are in since it has no connection to the transmission.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks! I see, so it is basically RPM controlled via the top end parameter of your window switch, the 1st Time it goes past that parameter, then it will spray and activate the Nitrous the 2nd time it hits the parameter's Top End Program, if that makes any sense.

I wonder how it works if I am crusing around town say at 50 mph and it is in 4th/OD, then I punch it......

I wonder how that senario will work. I guess it shifts down to a lower gear, but I wonder how that affects the lock out. I guess trial and error, but you did answer my question.

The nice thing is you have an option to enagage it or Not.

Thanks Terry
Old 08-16-2005, 12:42 PM
Teching In

The way I understand it, once the system is activated, the BMN unit will wait untill it reads you passing the Shut Off window before becoming active, after that happens as soon as you hit the 'turn on' window RPM it will spray. So if you were in third say, punched it and dropped to second as soon as it crossed the shut off point in second and shifted to third it would activate and spray as soon as you hit the turn on RPM, if that makes any sense.

How easy is it to turn the 1st gear lockout on or off, wonder if it could be setup to control that via another switch, would be nice to disable that feature if you end up having to go from a roll.

-Matt