Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous with a Procharger???

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 03:09 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Nitrous with a Procharger???

Well, I am considering a few things. Pretty soon I will be ready for my next batch of mods and I have a decision to make. Currently my car makes 551rwhp and 457trq on 8.5psi of boost from my Procharger and teh car is also cammed. Stock bottom end!

My question is this:

I am thinking cooling my IATs would be beneficial at the track. Should I run a small 50shot of nitrous to help cool the IATs? Or should I run Methanol to do this? The thing is on the street I am plenty happy with how the car runs, but at the track I know it is getting hot. Obviously the car would be tuned to react when nitrous is used. The Methanol runs all the time depending on teh controller right? But if I used nitrous I could use it at the track only!

So what are your thoughts? Am I wasting my time going one way or the other? Or would this really be beneficial?

Any help is appreciated!

Also, if I did do nitrous which kit would you suggest? And what components to run it properly!?

Last edited by TrakDay; 08-31-2005 at 03:14 AM.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i had my grand prix GTP i ran a small ZEX 75 dry shot on it. The car made 320 hp on blower only. the HP picked up a bit(picked up 4/10ths), but the TQ went through the roof. I would say yes...however, tuning is a neccessity, as is the safety equipment.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:12 AM
FormerVendor

I would say use nitrous (I know, big surprise,lol). The nitrous is going to be much colder than the methanol injection, and you will pick up some hp and tq. The nice thing about using nitrous on a supercharged/turbocharged motor is that the boost really helps with distribution. So there is less likely of a chance that certain cylinders will go lean (which is a problem on some intakes). And of course you will get the cooling affect for the IAT's.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:14 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NXJeremy
I would say use nitrous (I know, big surprise,lol). The nitrous is going to be much colder than the methanol injection, and you will pick up some hp and tq. The nice thing about using nitrous on a supercharged/turbocharged motor is that the boost really helps with distribution. So there is less likely of a chance that certain cylinders will go lean (which is a problem on some intakes). And of course you will get the cooling affect for the IAT's.
Which kit would you suggest for such a mild application?
Old 08-31-2005, 09:31 AM
FormerVendor

Sorry, forgot to put a part number. A simple single nozzle system would work fine, our part number is 20920-10. This system is adjustable from 50-150hp to the rear wheels.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TrakDay,
I have both n20 and a water/methanol system. I won't make a recommendation as IMO the 2 systems are apples to oranges.
I'll just share some observations I have made.
At 8.5psi with an intercooler your IAT should not be much of a concern. But to give you an idea how well the water/alky systems work when properly designed and setup-
I run around 10psi at the moment. No intercooler at all. I built a dual nozzle water/alky system. At 10psi I normally would see 200' IAT on a 85 degree day.
With my dual nozzle system which flows a good 22GPH it drops to 100'F . I can run 93 pump gas and 20' timing with the system.
I just put a N2o system on it very recently( sorry not from a sponsor) and both systems work very well together.
With the water/alky system I may see a very slight amount of KR at 20' timing. But when I spray a 50 shot on top of that, then it runs even smoother with 0 trace of KR and the same 20' advance.
With a wet 50 shot and 22+ gph wet flow from the alky system, which is equal to a good 300 shot in wet flow, cyl distribution looks great. Plugs show almost exactly equal on all 8 cyls.
So as NXJeremy pointed out, the boost really seems to help the intake flow wet.

Steve

Quick Reply: Nitrous with a Procharger???