Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick plug question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default quick plug question

im installing nitrous this week and will be pilled to 100 shot. Question is will my TR55 iridium plugs be ok (for short peroid) or do i need to switch to TR6s before i even think about spraying??
Old 01-01-2006, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BAD02WS6
im installing nitrous this week and will be pilled to 100 shot. Question is will my TR55 iridium plugs be ok (for short peroid) or do i need to switch to TR6s before i even think about spraying??
Depends on how rich it runs on the juice, and how long you press the button for. It's the heat build-up that kills plugs, so it all depends on case-by-case if they will work or not.
If it's a dry shot spraying very near the MAF then you'll be fine for a typical quarter-mile pass because it will be rich and pull timing on its own.
If for any reason you go lean for more than a couple of seconds then the plugs are history and may take out the motor too. Most people don't want to risk their motor because of a sparkplug.

The time & load factor counts a lot here. If you make a long pass or do a highway run up into overdrive on the bottle then your plugs aren't going to make it.
Some shorter 5-to-8 second blasts in lower gears would be just fine. It normally doesn't take more than a few seconds on the bottle to decide the race on the street anyway.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for your input. Its a wet Kit and I will be changing plugs to TR6s soon just wanted to put it on and go test it out with a few quick blast down the street. Ill be putting TR6s in before I do any racing, going to dyno and tune sometime this week, then go out hand some peeps their *** this weekend!!!