Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pressure regulator.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel pressure regulator.

Has anyone used a fuel pressure regulator to lower the pressure to the Fuel Solenoid? I am coming off from the fuel rail through a FPSS then direct to the fuel solenoid right now. I am getting a rich spike using the progressive at low start percentages. I have tried several differant fuel solenoids(brands, sizes) and get basically the same results.
I am wanting to put a pressure regulator in the fuel line to bring the pressure down to around 6-8 psi. Then install a bigger fuel jet to compensate for the lower fuel pressure. I can then add .5psi or take away pressure to fine tune the fuel delivery. I have seen this same type of problem on motorcycles if the fuel pressure is 9psi or greater with a progressive system.
The fuel solenoids seem to work much better at lower pressures when pulsing them. I want to use a low start percentage and then ramp it up quiclky once out of the hole and moving on street tires. I am hoping to spray through first gear this way.
Just wondering if anyone had done this and what they used.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Sounds risky changing jets and modifying fuel pressures...
Can't adjust the Fuel Offset on the Progressive Controller?
Old 05-02-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can re-write the software and make any adjustments I want as far as that goes. It is just that the solenoids do not regulate the fuel very well at higher pressures. A standard wet system that comes with its own pump produces approx 6psi.
I am planning on programming the controller to only activate for 10 seconds and turn off. I will route the fuel into a beaker/measuring cup and record the amount of fuel delivered for 10 seconds. Then test with a lower pressure and bigger jet for exactly 10 seconds and measure the amount of fuel delevered. This will be at 100% setting.
Then test the amount of fuel delivered at differant percentages for an exact time with high(smaller jet) and low(bigger jet) fuel pressures. The goal being to see if with a lower fuel pressure the flow can be controlled more precisely at lower percentages and still provide the required fuel delivery at 100%.
I am not planning on just trying a bigger jet and hoping I got it right. I know it sounds like a lot of work, however, I usually think outside the box so to speak. At times a come across things that work well and at times I end up back at square one.
I have spent several years recording the flyback signal from various solenoids at differant percentages/bottle pressures and have been using this inforamtion to make real time adjustments. Changes in battery voltage can also effect the response of the solenoids just as it does with a fuel injector.
I am rambling now, sorry.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:46 PM
Restricted User

Coming off the rail no, I havent done that. But most of the dedicated fuel systems can be dialed hi or low pressure, so wouldnt think there would be a problem. Where are you going to have the return line routed to? or is it a returnless regulator?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was thinking a returnless regulator just for the ease of install. I have a few options at work and I also plan on researching one that Summit Racing sells.
I was hoping someone had already done this and could point me in the right direction. And feedback can be helpful at times.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:24 AM
TECH Addict

that's interesting let us know what you come up with