Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Build up

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Build up

Im curious to know if there is any other components that would add to helping a engine be safer when spraying. What i mean by that is, is there a certain crank, pistons, rings, ect. that are made strickly to make the life of an NOS engine last longer? Im pondering the thought of finding a camaro that needs engine work but the rest of the car is fine. Because then i would pull the engine, buy a stroker kit (with the parts needed for a great NOS setup) and then be done with it. No worries and all smiles?

Also if an engine is going to blow up because of spraying NOS what parts actully give out? Is it the rings or actully melting the pistons or what?
Old 05-28-2006, 04:33 PM
9 Second Club

Depends on how big of a nitrous motor and a nitrous hit you are talking about.... generally you want a strong forged pistons and a good quality rod. I'd say for an entry level nitrous motor keeping it to a 200 shot or less you probably want an SRP or Wiseco forged piston..... A set of Eagle H-beam rods and a good forged crank from Eagle or Cola would get you by just fine.... Rings can be pretty much any quality brands like Childs and Albert, JE has a good set of rings as well.... Just make sure your engine builder opens up the ring gaps when he builds your motor to allow for additional heat expansion due to nitrous.... use good bearings also....

For a big nitrous motor you want to look into higher end parts... Custom JE, Ross, or Diamond Nitrous pistons specifically forged for juice. Thicker ring lands are usually what is changed for the beating the piston top will take. Better rods are also essential. Lunati Pro Mod, Oliver billet steel, or Carillo rods are generally chosen at this point. And cranks as well need to be top of the line. Lunati cranks, Callies and a few other companies make some seriously strong billet steel cranks.. ANd once again ring packs should be top quality and file fit with more clearance.....

Usually if your motor is hurt using nitrous it's mostly burned pistons, broken ring lands, bent rods..... blown head gaskets happen occasionally (which you'd much rather have happen than lose a piston....)
Old 05-28-2006, 08:57 PM
Launching!

^thanks for the reply. As far as what im looking for is something less than 200 probably 150 shot at MOST. This is a totally street car that has some extra go if i want it. Daily driver so thats why less than 200shot. So the parts you explained would be mostly in a new stroker kit. Like the eagle forged crank, rods, pistons ect. So i guess with a stroker kit plus the nitrous i should be running some stout numbers?
Old 05-28-2006, 09:52 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah you could pick up a basic eagle stroker kit with some good forged pistons... just make sure you step up and buy the h-beam rods instead of the i-beams.... they're a few hundred bucks more expensive but with rods you want the quality there.... especially with nitrous....
Old 05-29-2006, 10:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
Yeah you could pick up a basic eagle stroker kit with some good forged pistons... just make sure you step up and buy the h-beam rods instead of the i-beams.... they're a few hundred bucks more expensive but with rods you want the quality there.... especially with nitrous....
thanks for your help