Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with my 5177 kit - need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with my 5177 kit - need help

Here is my setup (forgive the crude drawing). NOS 5177 kit (75 hp jets), harlan window switch, WOT switch, purge kit. I tried out the nitrous kit last night.

First problem I found was that the system would activate whether the arming toggle switch is on or off

As soon as the nitrous turns on, the engine acclerates for half a second, then falls on it's face. It's almost like hittting the rev limiter, engine kind of surges. I tried 2 times, went home rechecked wiring, tried again with same results. I was logging all runs and everything looked good. A/F ratio went to about 11.5:1 when nitrous came of, MAF readings went from 8 lb/min to 20 lb/min, injector duty cycle went from 20% to 45%. I just can't figure out why it is not working, and I really don'w want to blow something up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here is what I did to trouble shoot:
- Checked all wiring, I have as shown in the drawing above; seems OK
- bypassed FPSS for a run, no change
- bypassed window switch for a run; no change
- went home and checked n2o solenoids by manually putting power to them - they worked like they are supposed to
- checked WOT switch - worked fine

I think my problem is somewhere in the arming switches, but I don't see what.

Last edited by bowtieman81; 06-02-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

When I had mine set up, the window switch was supposed to ground the WOT switch.. but that's all I remember. Sorry I can't help more.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any bit helps! The instructions don't say where the window switch should fit into the system. Unfortunately I know of nobody else around here with a dry kit to compare to.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Launching!

Just looking through the instruction for the window switch online it seems sh33p4u is right and that it should be grounding the relay. It looks like there is a 12v out wire for running an external device. If you have this hooked up to pin 86 (the red wire on the relay) then it might be getting 12v as soon as you arm it. Then if there is a short to ground in the green wire (pin 85) between the relay and the micro switch it could cause it to come on as soon as you turn the arming switcth on.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

You know, I think you guys are right. I looked at Harlans instructions online and it mentioned that the WS grounds when the module turns on. I must have an old copy of his instructions because they don't mention that. I will redo tonight and give it a try. Thanks guys!
Old 06-03-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Success! The setup finally works as it is supposed too. Thanks guys.

And, I already want larger hp jets