Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust smoke on the juice

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 01:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust smoke on the juice

went out and sprayed it tonight and there was light behind the car and i could see quite a bit of smoke in the rearview. not thick or anything, but noticeable.
keep this in mind, on motor my cars smokes at each shift. i think that is due to it being rich.
i did pull a few plugs afterwards and the porcelain part was near white with tan on one side, the straps were tan and black, one of them had a greenish tint to it, and inside the plug they are black.
anyway, i know i need to hook it up to a wideband, but is a lil smoke normal? during the day u cannot see it.
thankd in advance
Old 06-17-2006, 04:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How was the smoke afterwards? The only time I've had smoke with my LT1 is when I blew the head gasket. The piston where it went was green tinted. Not to be scary or anything. I blew it at night though so I could see lots of exhaust smoke.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:40 AM
12 Second Club

well once i got off the gas, the smoke stopped.
only hope it is not a major problem (crosses fingers)
Old 06-17-2006, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by camar0corey
How was the smoke afterwards? The only time I've had smoke with my LT1 is when I blew the head gasket. The piston where it went was green tinted. Not to be scary or anything. I blew it at night though so I could see lots of exhaust smoke.
This makes sense. Greenish tint = antifreeze.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah it was the only completely clean piston top, the shop explained, yep thats where you blew it, steam cleaned! So when I got back after dropping the heads off and looked at the gasket, yep #7 had a split in between the gasket layers.
I didn't take out the knock sensor at first so on the pass side all my cylinders had some coolant in them, on the driver side where I took the drain plug out only the #7 had fluid in it.
If he took the plug out, would coolant maybe come out, or would it have to be running, or all the coolant would be burned out of the cylinder when shut down?
Head gaskets on LT motor isn't too bad to replace, you just need a lot of time. Eh. upgrade while in there, I put some Comp springs and 1.6 promagnum roller rockers on while in there. Springs are conviently easy to do if you have to pull the heads.

Its hard to see smoke during the day if its not burning oil cause its white, look at night and see how bad its smoking. If its a head gasket you can smell the coolant sometimes in the exhaust, and well when I jacked the front end up liquid stuff came out of my exhaust.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:10 PM
12 Second Club

nitrous kits are typically jetted extremely rich...wet kits...i had a tpi camaro b4 my TA and it left a plume of smoke.

being your car really only does it bad with nos, that would be my guess.
pig rich
Old 06-22-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ Yup. N2o is fairly rich jetted. Might be your problem.