Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Clutch or tranny problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch or tranny problem?

Yesterday, at PR, I was able to get in two passes. Neither of them anything to brag about. The first pass I missed 2nd and 4th gear. I figured it was due to me not running my car all summer. However, on the second pass, I noticed that is was hard to get the car into 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Below is the video of my second pass (12.0@123mph).

The clutch is a Centerforce Dual Friction with the 12" Centerforce Flywheel. The assembly has been balanced and has about 2500 miles on it. I have a remote clutch bleeder and put in fresh fluid the night before (Prestone DOT 4). My tranny appears to be a remanufactured tranny (i.e. a sticker on it says remanufactured). My chasis has 70k miles. I run AMSOIL ATF.

When I drive around, shifting into 2nd is sometimes difficult (i.e. grinds). This has been going on before the new engine has gone it. However, it has never been this difficult to get it into gear on the dragstrip.

I know the shift forks are problematic on the C5's. Would bent/damaged shift forks make it difficult to shift into gears? Or would this be due to a problem with the clutch? I notice this problem more going into 2nd and 4th.

I am just trying to get some ideas before having the tranny and clutch pulled...however, that may be my only option.

Ideas?