Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

looking for help in Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll be lucky to find my car out there. They make me park my **** in the weeds.

RTCTTFMF
Old 09-02-2009, 08:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol. My beater is what some would say that sticks out like a sore thumb.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:16 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats up guys. Looks like I'm probably picking up that SOM WS6 that was on Craigslist for a while this weekend, so wanted to stop in and say hello to the AK crew. Any of you guys got any parts laying around up here? Otherwise USPS or UPS is about to make a fortune off my ***...this car is 100% stock, and I have no intentions of keeping it that way. Looking for lid, TB, headers, catted y, cat-back, cam, shifter, springs/shocks...you name it. Let me know if you guys have anything you're looking to sell. Look forward to seeing you around.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:15 AM
9 Second Club

I didn't know there was an SOM WS6 for sale. Is that the one the lady out in the valley has? If it is, it's a clean stock car with just highway miles. I use to see her every morning heading in to anchorage. If you've been around eagle river for any length of time you probably know my WS6.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:05 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frozen WS6
I didn't know there was an SOM WS6 for sale. Is that the one the lady out in the valley has? If it is, it's a clean stock car with just highway miles. I use to see her every morning heading in to anchorage. If you've been around eagle river for any length of time you probably know my WS6.
I'm 99% sure that's going to be the same car. A guy in Kenai has it now, but bought it last summer from a couple in Palmer, so I'm thinking it's the car you're thinking of. Still 100% stock...but not for long. I've seen your car around, and a few others in the area. Hope you guys can give me some pointers on a cam swap...never done one on an LS motor. Found a good online guide, but never hurts to have a person talking to you.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:46 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Went to look at that WS6 today...bad news for me. Everything looked good until I took it out to drive it...rear end is growling bad at low speeds, and howling like a banshee at highway speeds. Sounded really bad. Had to turn it down...sucks, I had a check in hand and everything. Really thought I was bringing it back today. Oh well, the search continues...
Old 09-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Teching In

Default I made it back

How is everyone I have made it back home. I still have to install the parts on my car. I would like to meet up with some of you and talk about a few tuning issues that I have found. I am hitting the rev limiter at 5500 RPMs for some reason. hope everyone is having a good weekend
Old 09-06-2009, 01:32 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Anyone have a stock 10 bolt rear? Considering rebuilding/replacing the one in the car I looked at...
Old 09-07-2009, 09:23 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by -Q-
Went to look at that WS6 today...bad news for me. Everything looked good until I took it out to drive it...rear end is growling bad at low speeds, and howling like a banshee at highway speeds. Sounded really bad. Had to turn it down...sucks, I had a check in hand and everything. Really thought I was bringing it back today. Oh well, the search continues...
Hey I don't know what their asking price is. But you need a 12 bolt if it's an auto or a 9 inch if it's a 6 speed anyway. Other wise with those mods your talking about that stock 10 will be a ticking time bomb. If you can get it around $10,000 or less buy it. The ws6's like that and an ls1 doesn't get put up for sale very often. What better reason to upgrade then that. That's a great winter project. If I had the cash I'd be going out to pick it up today. Since I'm out at the track anyway. If you set on a stock 10bolt, We'll talk this winter. That gives me a good reason to get my 9 inch.

Originally Posted by Robs99TA
How is everyone I have made it back home. I still have to install the parts on my car. I would like to meet up with some of you and talk about a few tuning issues that I have found. I am hitting the rev limiter at 5500 RPMs for some reason. hope everyone is having a good weekend
Welcome back. If you get a chance most of us are out at the track this weekend. I will be headed out there at around 8 this morning. We got jmills car running really good. We are going to take advantage of the good air this morning. Test and tune starts at 10 am today. Just look for all the 4th gen cars. You won't miss my red bird.

Last edited by Frozen WS6; 09-07-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:55 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Hey I don't know what their asking price is. But you need a 12 bolt if it's an auto or a 9 inch if it's a 6 speed anyway. Other wise with those mods your talking about that stock 10 will be a ticking time bomb. If you can get it around $10,000 or less buy it. The ws6's like that and an ls1 doesn't get put up for sale very often. What better reason to upgrade then that. That's a great winter project. If I had the cash I'd be going out to pick it up today. Since I'm out at the track anyway. If you set on a stock 10bolt, We'll talk this winter. That gives me a good reason to get my 9 inch.
How much do you think it would cost to get a 9 inch up here? The shipping on that has got to be crazy, unless you know someone you can get one for you up here. I can't see sinking 3k into a rear end...

I has settled on a price of 11.4k before I found the rear end issue. He's taking it to a shop this week to get an estimate. I'm hoping to still be able to work something out.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:06 PM
9 Second Club

Since some places ship free in the lower 48. I forget which shipping company it is. But you can ship it to their hub in Washington. Then it can got ltl on a truck up to anchorage for a couple of hundred in stead of probably around 800. ak95ta (on here) out here in eagle river has done that has done this a few times and it's saved him a small fortune.
3000 not bad of an investment if you never want any problems ever again. Breaking stuff one the street or track will only end up costing you more and it's not fun having to have your car towed home. The tow alone will cost you a few hundred. I've been there and broke that. I'm just telling you my experiance with any f-body I've built or tuned on.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:06 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. That would pretty much suck up the rest of the money I had for mods, so I'd be rolling around in a bone-stock WS6 with a 9" in back..lol. I may just look into rebuilding the diff, and downgrading my mod plans a little to get it to hold up until I move back to the lower 48 in the next couple of years. Depends on whether or not he'll move on the price. I really wouldn't be too hard on the car...I rarely go to the drags, and if I am getting on it, it's usually from a roll. I might be able to make it last a while.

Do you think ADB could rebuild the diff?
Old 09-08-2009, 09:49 PM
9 Second Club

Your going to want to go to youngs gear for that. Over on International by the Bush Company.

Hey my car isn't really modded and I have a 6 point cage and next will be the 9 inch. Then we'll see what I do next. Yes I do get crap from people. But guess were their cars are. BROKE..
I've built alot of cars and they have all taken everything I've thrown at it. There all still around with no problems because I've built them from the drivetrain forward. To live on the street and track. The fastest I did was a 69 chevelle, frame off restoration, 540cid big block, turbo 400, drove it to and from the track, from eagle river ran 10.20 all day. No problems ever..
Old 09-08-2009, 09:55 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

I will give them a call. Curious to see what they would charge to put in gears with installation kit (bearings, seals, etc)...

I agree with what you're saying about the 9"...I just know I can't make this deal happen if I go that route. And I'd really like to have the car. If that means taking it easy on the mods and driving the car easy for a while, then I can make that sacrifice until I can afford the 9".
Old 09-08-2009, 10:48 PM
9 Second Club

I know all about being on a budget. I'm on one right now also. That's why mine isn't running 10's yet. Also I'm having way too much fun just driving it around. I can tell you one thing. The ricers don't mess with me because they don't know what I've done since I have custom paint and a cage.
Your on the right track with your thinking. Get the car first and go from their. I do like that color. SOM. I've also put together a late model performance group/ club. I send out emails of get togethers and stuff. You should pm me your name, email, phone number. It makes it easier to send out emails to everyone. Also if you need to look at my car for ideas, questions, help or what ever just let me know.

Hey Rob did you figure out your tuning issues??
Old 09-08-2009, 11:45 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

I know all about being on a budget. I'm on one right now also. That's why mine isn't running 10's yet. Also I'm having way too much fun just driving it around. I can tell you one thing. The ricers don't mess with me because they don't know what I've done since I have custom paint and a cage.
Your on the right track with your thinking. Get the car first and go from their. I do like that color. SOM. I've also put together a late model performance group/ club. I send out emails of get togethers and stuff. You should pm me your name, email, phone number. It makes it easier to send out emails to everyone. Also if you need to look at my car for ideas, questions, help or what ever just let me know.

Will do. Thanks for the offer.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:43 PM
9 Second Club

Let me know how things go with getting the car.

Pm sent.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:04 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

I will. Shot an offer back to the owner today...we'll see what he thinks.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:45 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Well it worked out...leaving to go pick up the car in a little while. Getting it in at Young's next week for a rebuild with new gears.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Hi guys, I was poking around doing some research on cams and stumbled on this thread. I've got a few guys over on ls1gto.com that I'll point over this way as well.

I've got an 04 GTO, thats more or less stock. I'm doing my research on heads, cams, etc... I'm happy to see that you guys have some tuning experience, as I was worried about taking on the costs of buying, learning etc while taking on a cam. So if you are taking on a cam install I would love to help out where I can so I can go into it with more than internet howto's.

Also the shipping company based out of WA is SpanAK, I've shipped a couple of hoods with a few years ago. I also work for a frieght company and may be able to help you guys out

Quick Reply: looking for help in Alaska