Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Help with Insurance - Hail Damage.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Insurance - Hail Damage.

Our fully-owned, Civic 2012 got Hail damage, which the assessor estimated at $2700. We have $2K deductible, so he wrote us a check for $700, which we did NOT cache yet.

He wrote to REPLACE the hood (that also has a rock-chip), and PDR the roof & trunk.

Insurance does not have its own repair store in town.
Honda's body shop said they recommend replacing the trunk as well, and verbally estimated a $4K damage.

When we asked the assessor if there is hope to find ANYONE to fix for less (and avoid paying the entire $2K out of pocket) he said (twice): "THERE IS NO WAY to find any store to do that for less!!!". So we were probably low-balled. Also Insurance's quote uses parts not made by the original manufacturer (aftermarket parts).

1) How can we request a higher check from the Insurance?

Also, we found a local PDR shop that can fix the car for $1200 (no hood replacement, but less invasive and may (?) help maintain car's value.

2) Can PDR of the hood result in loss of insurance coverage for the next hail (or crash or other) damage - especially to the hood? How will the insurance estimate if there is further damage? Do I need to take pics of the car before and after the repair to show it was fixed?

3) Can the Insurance find out we did not replace the hood? E.g. from the rock chip?

4) Will the PDR result in any loss of warranty (paint warranty, hood warranty - since it will not be the new hood with new paint, as they recommended)?

4) What should we do if the PDR leaves other damage to the car? Will the insurance cover that additional expense to fix it?

5) Will Carfax show a front hood replacement, or just a PDR?

6) And overall... what do you recommend we do? Is worth fixing a $2.7K hail damage on a Civic 2012 now? Is it best to do PDR or full repair? Should we wait and maybe hope to be cheaper later? Should we sell the car? We MIGHT consider exchanging it for a 4x4 later on...

Sorry, so many questions ... Confused! Any help REALLY appreciated!
Old 10-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by demy75
Our fully-owned, Civic 2012 got Hail damage, which the assessor estimated at $2700. We have $2K deductible, so he wrote us a check for $700, which we did NOT cache yet.

He wrote to REPLACE the hood (that also has a rock-chip), and PDR the roof & trunk.

Insurance does not have its own repair store in town.
Honda's body shop said they recommend replacing the trunk as well, and verbally estimated a $4K damage.

When we asked the assessor if there is hope to find ANYONE to fix for less (and avoid paying the entire $2K out of pocket) he said (twice): "THERE IS NO WAY to find any store to do that for less!!!". So we were probably low-balled. Also Insurance's quote uses parts not made by the original manufacturer (aftermarket parts).

1) How can we request a higher check from the Insurance?

Also, we found a local PDR shop that can fix the car for $1200 (no hood replacement, but less invasive and may (?) help maintain car's value.

2) Can PDR of the hood result in loss of insurance coverage for the next hail (or crash or other) damage - especially to the hood? How will the insurance estimate if there is further damage? Do I need to take pics of the car before and after the repair to show it was fixed?

3) Can the Insurance find out we did not replace the hood? E.g. from the rock chip?

4) Will the PDR result in any loss of warranty (paint warranty, hood warranty - since it will not be the new hood with new paint, as they recommended)?

4) What should we do if the PDR leaves other damage to the car? Will the insurance cover that additional expense to fix it?

5) Will Carfax show a front hood replacement, or just a PDR?

6) And overall... what do you recommend we do? Is worth fixing a $2.7K hail damage on a Civic 2012 now? Is it best to do PDR or full repair? Should we wait and maybe hope to be cheaper later? Should we sell the car? We MIGHT consider exchanging it for a 4x4 later on...

Sorry, so many questions ... Confused! Any help REALLY appreciated!
1. Dont' think you can once you let them write you the first one. Ask if they do appeals on claims, and ask them if the claim is closed.

4a. Why would the MFR warranty somethign they didn't install? I would say yes.

4b. No they won't mpay more, just the $700 so far.

5. Depends on how the shop reports. This is a question for the body shop you choose.

6. I would call the insurance and tell them you feel bullied and are not happy, and ask about an appeal on the lack of trunk repair. If they tell you to pound sand, calla lawyer for a free consult. If they tell you to pay them a retainer before telling you if it is worth the effort, call another lawyer to get that answer. If it isn't a easy one to stick to the insurance (probably isn't), then I would drop it there. Then you have $700 and a dented up car. Choice is yours... do you care? Car can always be fixed later. I have always pocketed the ins money and semi-fixed things myself, but I don't have a 2012 either...

Quick Reply: Help with Insurance - Hail Damage.