More ORR questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 08:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More ORR questions

Bill/Boyce,

I have 2 questions about ORR. Regarding licenses the MKM rules say

"The following is recommended in the Grand Touring Division and required for all other Divisions: The Driver must have a valid competition license with the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA)....."

Since I want to run in the 120mph - 140 tech GT2 class, should I get one? I don't think I 'need' one, but where / how would I get one? Does the road course class at PR gain me anything towards this end?

And about harnesses, it says

"Harness Mounting/Age Requirements: Harnesses must be mounted at or on the roll cage, roll bar, frame member, or body panel (with adequate spreader plates).

The shoulder belt mounting height (or roll bar crossover height for floor-mounted shoulder belts) should be no more than 2” +/- from the driver’s shoulder height when seated in a driving position to reduce the possibility of spinal compression injuries. Shoulder harnesses must be secured or stressed over a steel tube at the proper height....."

I think this says it's OK to have the shoulder belts wrapped around the cross bar, like NHRA lets you do. Or do you know if I need to have them attached? Or want them...
Old 02-20-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you call up the driving school at PR? I'm pretty sure Don Kitch had a licensing program available local. That said... definitely get some lapping at Portland if you get the chance. That Chicane was a little scary at times.

I killed my ZZ4 bottom end in the 85 vette on that track (drove home knocking with 2-3 psi oil pressure if I revved it at off ramps... LOL). Still had a blast AT the track! Must have good oiling if you can pull some G-s in the corners, though!
Old 02-20-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just go take the driving school at PR and you'll be fine. A SCCA license is spendy and takes up a couple of days and really isnt needed. They just reccommend it since it give you more stick time and you learn the limits of the car alot better.

I have mine wrapped wround the horizontal bar and it passed tech. Once you have run the belt through the metal clip, fold it back over and run it over the top and back through. This helps make sure there is no slipage.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:40 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

FYI, the SCCA license takes two days and costs $1800. It is something that I plan to do sometime.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

$1800? DAMN!!! I think I'll just take Boyce down as my nav & see if they'll let me run....
Old 02-20-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah that is pricey!
Old 02-20-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have to keep in mind that this license will get you into events that you watch on TV like the SCCA T1 series. This is where a lot of the great road racers started so they do not take it lightly. You will have an instructor strapped to you the whole time and will come away from there knowing how to drive a car.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ram-it
You have to keep in mind that this license will get you into events that you watch on TV like the SCCA T1 series. This is where a lot of the great road racers started so they do not take it lightly. You will have an instructor strapped to you the whole time and will come away from there knowing how to drive a car.

See... the license actually costs $100. The balance is for the insurance on the instructor who draws the shortest straw...
Old 02-20-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Mark, no license is required. Having one will allow you to start in a faster division, but even fully licensed individuals have to work their way up through the classes like everyone else. They simply get to start a little faster. FYI my one day racing school with a few lapping days thrown in + a little begging allowed me to start in a faster division ( 165/130 ) as though I already had my license I'm a good beggar

And having the harness wrapped around the crossbar is an accepted method. I believe they "prefer" that you weld brackets onto the crossbar to mount to, but not "required". Pay particular attention to how your crotch strap is mounted. They get very concerned about this detail.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

I did the same thing as Bill. Begged after taking the school. At the SSCC you are forced to take a rookie school your first time out. And from talking with Bill the only thing they were looking for was to make sure you knew where the throttle and the brake were.

Originally Posted by CHarris
See... the license actually costs $100. The balance is for the insurance on the instructor who draws the shortest straw
LOL isnt that the truth. That kind of how I felt when I went in for my school. I could have sworn I heard Kitch say "OK, who wants the black car with the big roll cage in it and the kid that looks clueless?"

Quick Reply: More ORR questions