Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinions needed

Well hopefully my car will be sold sometime in the near future, so I'm going to do a few minor upgrades to my truck in the name of improving its driveability.

First I'm going to put 3.73 gears in it. The combination of 28" tires, 3.08 gears, and OD just puts it at too low of an rpm, and it really lugs. I think this will put the RPM in the sweet spot (for a L98) and actually improve my mileage. So I was looking at Summit for gears. Which brand should I go with, Richmond or Motive? The Motive gears are about $20 cheaper, so I'm leading towards them.

Next is the exhaust. Right now I have 2 1/2 inch dual exhaust into 40 series flowmasters, and it exits in front of the rear tires. There is no cross over pipe. Also I changed headers after I had the exhaust put on, so the collector flange is slightly off, and not sealing well. So basically I'm thinking I'll go with 2 1/2 inch mandrel bent with an X pipe. Sounds good so far. But what muffler. I'm thinking either 50 series flows, or Hooker Aerochambers. Any opinions? Also, where is a place that will do mandrel bending? Do you think 2 1/2 inch pipe is the proper size?

I'm also going to get some other stuff, but don't need any help making decisions on those.

Thanks
Derek