Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

3.73s are in

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3.73s are in

I finally finished up the install of my new gears in my truck tonight. I went from 3.08s to 3.73s (also have A4, and 28" tall tires)

Let me first say that it was a big ol' pain in the butt. There was definatly a learning curve there, and I even got a few tricks from some people on the truck site I get on (like grind out the inside of a extra rear pinion bearing so it will slip on to check fit/backlash). So I did all of that. It took longer than I expected, and by the time I got to the point where I needed the bearing pressed on the machine shop I used was closed (that was Saturday). Of course they were also closed on Sunday. So I take it in there on Monday after work. They said it would probably be tommorrow by the time they got to it. A little ticked, I was like OK. Well they called and left a message (that I didn't get until it was too late again) asking me about a shim. Well I ended up not needing a shim, otherwise if they didn't ask me a question I probably could have gotten it yesterday.

So today I pick it up, and install it. The backlash was .006", the set called for .008" +/- .002" So I'm good there. Put it all back together and take it out for a spin.

Drive down the road, put it in nuetral, and turn the engine off to let it coast. Can't hear a thing (as far as the rearend goes). I drove it around a little, then took it out on the highway. Since I didn't get the gear for the tranny yet (backordered) I just paced a car going about 60. Man, these gears put the engine right at the sweet spot....about 1900-2000 RPMs.

Overall I'm real happy with the way the truck drove. I hope to see a gas mileage improvement since the engine won't be lugging down the highway. The power is definatly better (even though I had 500 pound of bark in the bed I could tell there was more there). And it was actually quieter going down the highway.

Would I install gears myself again? I don't know, it was a pain in the butt, but I think since I've done it once it would be a lot easier. Also, if I had one of those pinion depth gages, it would be easier too. Oh well, it was a good learning experience.

Oh yeah, one thing I have to check into is now my truck is vibrating at about 30-35 mph. I'm guessing I didn't get the drive shafts phased quite right (I have a 2 piece drive shaft) so that should be an easy fix.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

Why didn't you go 4:11s on a 6 speed?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's your truck not your bird....
Old 05-10-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

congrats man!!! it always feels good when you learn how to do somthing yourself.

Quick Reply: 3.73s are in