Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Anyone know about TPIs? Have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 04:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone know about TPIs? Have some questions

Currently I have a 72 GMC pickup with a TPI 350 in it. In the spring, I'm going to begin a frame off restoration of it (pretty much have the money already, and its in decent shape, so I hope to finish it within a year). I'm also going to be making it into a shortbed. I'm running 3.73 gears right now with a 700r4 tranny with stock converter. Also, I currently have 28" tall tires. I'm shooting for 300-350 RWHP with torque similar to stock or a little more.

That leads me to the engine. Obviously after the restoration it won't be a daily driver, so I can stand a rougher idle. I'm going to be using it as a bracket racer, cruiser, and car shows.

I've been doing some looking online here and there and have came up with a few ideas...which of course leads to questions.

First. I'm looking at vortec heads. I know with my goals I'll have to get the ones already modified for higher lift from Scogin Dickey or others. For the money, are these the best bang for the buck? Or are there other heads out there for a similar price that will get better results? I also saw GMPP is now offering a Bowtie Vortec head. They're a little more expensive, but flow better than the standard vortecs. What is the advantage/disadvantage of different sized runners?

Next, the intake. After looking at what options are available (especially for the vortec heads) I'm thinking the holley stealth ram. Its reasonably priced and should be able to give me the power and RPM band that I want. I can't believe how much the other vortec baseplates are...and you're still left with the restrictive runners and upper plenum.

Next, the cam. I know there are literally hundreds of cams out there; too many for me to sort through, being fairly new to the TPI world. So I was thinking the LT4 hotcam, ZZ4 cam, or I saw a comp 306 cam. What else would work well with the combo I'm laying out so far.

I'm also going to be going with roller rockers.

Is the stock throttle body up to this? I think on the stealthram I can use an LT1 TB also (or am I wrong).

While doing this rebuild, is it neccessary to replace the lifters? I know you can re-use the lifters, but while I'm at it, is it a worthwhile upgrade?

What about the connecting rods? Are they strong enough to hold together.

I figure I'll have the block machined and use the stock crank. Get new forged pistons.

Obviosly I have a lot of questions on what to use. I want your opinions on where I should go, and what experiences with any of these parts you've had. Also, open to other suggestions.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2006, 10:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One place that you could look for some TPI stuff is TPIS. They have some good products, like the mini-ram (which is the intake I would use if/when I decide I want to change it out on the C4), and they have some decent cams as well... ZZ9 seems to be the one a lot of people pick from them.

As for heads, the Vortecs looks pretty good... good bang for the buck. AFRs are also out there, and from what I've seen they seem to perform the best.

Going for new rockers is a must, and if you're going to have the heads off anyway, go ahead and go with new lifters. It's a small part, relatively cheap, that way you don't have to worry about them in the future.

The throttle body seems to be more than adequate for the stock cubes... at most, maybe you step up to a 52mm. The 58mm looks to only be a benefit for the 383s and such.

Believe me, I've looked at similar products that you seem to be looking at... But I'm trying to resist, because with my school tuition, I can't really afford to do too much. Doesn't mean I don't like to window shop though...
Old 09-21-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know a heck of a lot about TPI but that's what came stock on my bird.

Switching to a Stealth Ram will allow you to more easily make the horsepower, but will more your torque curve from ridiculously low (great for burnouts), higher up. And will also get rid of the wall that TPI sees.

Getting indepth into headwork, rotating assembly and then slapping in a stock-style cam? Seems a bit odd to me, especially when you say you don't mind having something more aggressive.

I'm using the HSR right now on my bird. I don't really have the cubes or motor to take full advantage of it though.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Go with the HSR. I have one on the TT truck I am going to use MegaSqurt II with timing and probably DIS. The HSR is the best option IMHO.

As far as a cam once we figure the rest we can get one custom cut for about the same price as many of the shelf choices. I also have a few different options on hand and later this winter the LPE 211 might be up for grabs

I would grab a 52 or 58 Throttle body. they are plentifull and fair priced. in a pinch the stock one can be used for as long as you like. the wIFES CAR STILL HAS A STOCK tb

Heads. lots of choices and they all come down to price and realistic goals. I am running a set of stock Dart 200s

I would recomend a good set of stock replacement lifters but the stock ones should be fine. Roller rockers are a must as would be a set of matche dvalve springs.

The stock rods and crank should serve you well. go with a good set of light pistons and good maching work and call it a day. I can help you with a good machinect and can even warn you of one or two NOT to visit

Just remember the only bad questions are the ones you forget or refuse to ask

Quick Reply: Anyone know about TPIs? Have some questions