Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Need some legal help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 05:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some legal help!!!

I have a neighbor who is pretty much an *******. They rent the house next door and have complained about me playing my music too loud at 8pm!!

That is one of the reasons I bought a house! They came by last night around 8:30pm or so and asked me to turn it off. I told them I would turn it down and that I'd turn it off at 10pm. Well they left a note on the door this morning that I'll have to type out for you all when I get home from work that basically says they have issues with me and my music..........oh and my dogs are too loud. The reason my dogs bark is because there kids throw **** at the fence and aggitate the dogs. Anyways.........I thought it was common knowledge that music (noise) needs to be turned down at 10pm in residential areas. When they came to the door last night I told them that I will turn the music down for them, but I won't turn it OFF till 10pm and that I will play the music when I want within the guidelines of the law. Now I want to know what the law is exactly, so I don't break it because they are threatening to bring the police into this.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Tech Addict

My neighbors were telling me I need to keep an eye on one of my dogs. A pit bull who is the sweetest dog I've ever had. I told him they needed to get grip on their kids who throw all their toys at the dogs and that I've watched them do it many times.(I went apeshit on the kids once after watching it happen and told them if I caught them again I'd hop the fence and kick the ****** **** out of all of them.) I had a garbage can full of toys to prove my point. I then told him if my dog got to their kids I would be happy, it was because thier kids are ******** and call the dogs to the fence then throw **** at them. Man I was hot. He looked at me with a look of disbelief until I showed him the garbage can full of **** their brats were throwing into my yard and at my dogs. God dammit, I'm gettin pissed just thinking about it

Look up the noise ordinances on the net and see what you can find.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah the ordinances for noise go by city usually. None in Edmonds except for Sunset Drive, woo woo.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:01 PM
10 Second Club

I've been looking for like 30 minutes and can't find anything!
Old 10-05-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

**** him. You own your house and he rents. Tell him to find another place to live if he doesnt like it. On the other hand, he could poison your dog if you **** him off too much...just go buy some bear traps and toss them into his yard. the kids will stop antagonizing(sp) your dogs when when of those ******* catch their leg.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

"Tacoma’s noise ordinance laws, which require music and loud noise to cease by 11:00pm."

and for the dogs...http://www.cityoftacoma.org/Page.aspx?nid=490
Old 10-05-2006, 06:15 PM
11 Second Club

Jon, I would call your local Copshop and ask them first, and if you can't get answers from them then call City Hall. Someone should know the law at one of those places.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

Gotta love the whiny world we are in now...
Old 10-05-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LSxChevelle
Gotta love the whiny world we are in now...
Ain't that the truth!

I'd guess that as long as the dogs aren't barking constantly, then it shouldn't be a problem. Though it may be annoying to hear a dog bark a few times, it's not illegal.

And as for the Music, as long as you turned it down that should be fine. There's no reason that you have to turn it off.. Tell them to put in some earplugs or something if they don't like it.

Just my Opinion of course
Old 10-05-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

ha ha Im dealling with the same ****, this bitch down the street has called the cops 3 times now once for me working on my car in the eve (inside my garrage) once for the EX's car being parked on the street (5 houses down from the bitch) saying it was abandoned and another time while I was having a BBQ with drinking, cause someone told her kids not to play around our cars and she claimed she was threatened and so were her kids. if that wasnt bad enough the PIG that came, came gun drawn threatening to shoot my dog (nicest pitbull ever) and he was on MY Property. long story short FTP and FU#@$ bitchy neighbors. oh and get this her 16 year old son threatened my 11 year old son and his 10 year old friend. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ~Guy
Old 10-05-2006, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jon the one thing that may be a problem is if you have a Covenance(sp) or other housing rules you must abide by.

If not use the letter of the law when you find it. Use it against her

Many call what they are doing Harassment

This is also at the descreion of the Officer that arives. he may feel that any thing he hears from the curb is to loud and write you for it. Not much you can do there.

In the end? I call it Jealiosy(sp)
Old 10-05-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

OK,OK Time for the "OLD" man to chime in on this! Been there done that and yes with a fuken trip to court! You might want to keep the noise level,....resonable after 8:00p.m. Im just puting it this way becouse Im assuming that your jazzed about the new house and might be a little excited! If not screw them! they can make a big deal If they get anyone else from the hood to say It was too loud after 9:00 p.m.!! and you will NOT win with the dog! The courts call them an "atractive nuciance"What you should do is everytime you see the little ***** antaganising the dogs is call the cops then there will be a record! What usualy happens in these cases is,.... sence your not an ******** you wont call but they WILL every chance they get!! What happened to me is sence I had a life and actually WORKED I was not home to see what these deranged little ***** were doing to my dog (ya a pit) while I was not home after the kid got popped the other neighbor came over and said that the "weird little ****" would antaganise the dog untill the KID was foming at the mouth everyday the courts just dont care!! CALL THE COPS EVERYTIME!!! Good luck Bro.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Everyone must have a-hole neighbors now days.

I moved into my house 2 1/2 years ago and the first day I went to work my neighbor was bitching about my dogs barking (hello...new surroundings and dogs bark). We've done training and now she's on Prozac (another story) but she's a lot better and he's still complained a few times.

This guy is a wieir F&*cker though. He gets out of his car and has earmuffs on. The other day he was yelling at some other guys dog too. (Pretty much everyone in my neighborhood has a dog that barks...no big deal)

And then his dog gets out fairly frequently and ***** in my yard!!!!

Man, just another reason I can't wait to move to my new house....get away from this a-hole and live on 2.5 acres where no one is close enough to care.

BTW, does anyone (or know of someone) want to buy a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath house in Port Orchard?
Old 10-05-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the thing... the police really can't do anything to you if you're within noise regulations. They might knock on your door and say "please keep it down..." but that's pretty much the extent of it.

They're renters... screw 'em. No offense to any renters here.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jon, I have an idea. I will bring my bike over and park it out front with the pipes (goose necks) towards their door. At a nice idle for about an hour might just fu*k the eardrums up enough to no longer be able to hear your music. It's done wonders for my hearing. ASSCLOWNS.
Robert
Old 10-05-2006, 11:32 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a judegment call. I called the police everyday to complain about the little ******* next door riding his dirtbike. They rented the house, he made a track around the house. Try eating diner with a 2 stroke outside your window. I had him busted for riding on a public way, riding without a helmet. Anything I could find to get hm to stop. He paid over $1100 in fines. He was asked nicely not to ride. He had a sick neighbor on one side (very old) and me on the other. Little punk bitch did what he wanted. He paid.

Theres being reasonable with noise and being an ******* as well. 8pm is the shutdown time on my street during the weekdays. Kids have school and most people have to get up and go to work. Its called curteousy. This is a family neghborhood. Friday and Sat night doesn't matter.

You need to look at it from a different perspective. You dont have the right to disturb other people.

These people are being nice and came to you as adults to talk to you. You need to respond in a mature manor. Come to a compromise and try not to be a jerk. Get a cop onsite that agrees with them and you will lose. If you need to play it that loud get headphones. They have as much right as you do. It has nothing to do with being a home owner.

I know I take the un-popular stand. I have kids that need to sleep and I'm old enough to enjoy peace and quiet when it gets dark. So I'm a grumpy sumnabitch when my space gets disturbed.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 10-05-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS

Theres being reasonable with noise and being an ******* as well. 8pm is the shutdown time on my street during the weekdays. Kids have school and most people have to get up and go to work. Its called curteousy. This is a family neghborhood. Friday and Sat night doesn't matter.
In Jon's defense, he did say that he turned it down when asked.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Its a judegment call. I called the police everyday to complain about the little ******* next door riding his dirtbike. They rented the house, he made a track around the house. Try eating diner with a 2 stroke outside your window. I had him busted for riding on a public way, riding without a helmet. Anything I could find to get hm to stop. He paid over $1100 in fines. He was asked nicely not to ride. He had a sick neighbor on one side (very old) and me on the other. Little punk bitch did what he wanted. He paid.

You need to look at it from a different perspective. You dont have the right to disturb other people.

These people are being nice and came to you as adults to talk to you. You need to respond in a mature manor. Come to a compromise and try not to be a jerk. Get a cop onsite that agrees with them and you will lose. If you need to play it that loud get headphones. They have as much right as you do. It has nothing to do with being a home owner.

I know I take the un-popular stand. I have kids that need to sleep and I'm old enough to enjoy peace and quiet when it gets dark. So I'm a grumpy sumnabitch when my space gets disturbed.

ACTUALLY there is more to his story then just this

WHY do you guys think I live in BFE?
Old 10-06-2006, 02:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just go by the ordinance of your city...your not going to buck the system, and youll end up being just pissed...if your in the right then you have nothing to worry about
Old 10-06-2006, 07:38 AM
10 Second Club

I feel your pain Jon. One of our neighbors complains about our dogs barking in our backyard cuz her baby can't sleep. Turns out one of the things our dogs bark at is THEIR F-ING CAT that they let run loose. Being good neighbors (like you are trying to be) we try to keep the dogs quiet.

But the reality is, when you have neighbors you will have issues. Something you do will bother them & vice versa. And people are getting real pissy anymore about infringing on your rights when legal **** bothers them. That is what the laws are for, to set guidlines. I think you're ok.....but check to make sure.

PS One of my neighbors came over once to complain about my music being too loud. So I cranked up Pink Floyd to show them what loud COULD BE (I have a Carver tube amp with 4 LARGE Klipsch speakers) & they turned & left.