Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

What would you do if you were I?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 07:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do if you were I?

I have a possible position coming up as a lead engineer. The base offer is 150k+/year plus expenses. I suspect I can get more somewhere in the 175k range. But its a 12 to 18 months commitment maybe more. That means I can't run my shop meaning I would have to put everything in storage until I come back to get it going again. Which means I would probably have to start all over building my clientel back up. So whats a guy to do.....that damn new Z06 is definitely affordable at that salary Not to mention it sure would be nice to feel a load of cash in my pockets from time to time.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hire someone you trust. Its tough but could work.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn to bad you were not closer. You know what you have to do Tom we even talked about it a while back
Old 10-23-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man your stuff will be there and if you are good to your clients they will be back.
Go for the bucks man!
Like Cory said, hire someone you trust.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Go for the cash. I dont really know you, but I think your customers will still be around. Hire someone trustworthy but be extremely careful with who it is.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Put your stuff in storage, take the job, come back by that place outside of town and build your shop Imagine how much easier things would be without paying rent.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Addict

Take the money and you will be fine when you come back. We will all still be around and cars will always need to be customized and tuned.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:04 AM
TECH Addict

I would say take the job and just don't lose your rolodex.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:53 AM
Banned

Ditto on taking the job. Save up some cash and make some investments...the clientele will be there when you return.

But you still have to tune my car if I call you up.

Nate
Old 10-24-2006, 03:06 AM
TECH Veteran

If you are picking up more skills by taking the salary job then go for it. Not much is going to change in two years - aside from the dream a reliable TT system comes out from a couple of companies within budget.

Store your stuff, take the job and drop a note from time to time, sure way for folks to keep track of you
Old 10-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it finaly coming together? You've been talking about it all summer. You've got the GF to deal with as well. Or is she going?

Then you need to remember how slow it was over the winter. Big decision. Its not like your a young pup anymore. The money is certainly there no doubt about that. But your doing a decent business right now aren't you? Glad I'm not in your shoes, thats a tough one from my perspective. Theres more to life than just money to me nowadays. But your in a different boat as well. No kids, not married. Is it China? I cant remember. If I were in your shoes I'd be mighty tempted and with no real reason to say no it would almost be automatic.

Your customers will either find someone else they like while your gone and stay with them when you come back or they'll be waiting for you to come back biding their time with who ever they can find. Thats a hard one to say. I know I'll be needing a tune pretty soon so dont pack up the stuff just yet
Old 10-24-2006, 11:12 AM
10 Second Club

That is some seruious money Tom! I'd do it & hope your business can recover down the road. But if you're making that kind of money you can do the tuning as a hobby on weekends for the guys that are around when you do get back into it.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

As was mentioned, money is not everything. Are you happy the way things are presently? That's what it's about. A person can have all the money they want, but if your not doing what you love, then it's a waist of time, imo. I have turned down recently another job that was more $$, and did this cause I am happy with/what my company is doing. Now if it's a short term thing just to make a few bucks, then go for it, you can allways return to your bussiness. Hard choices sometimes.
Robert
Old 10-24-2006, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, I don't know. If I were in your position, I'd have to think long and hard about that one. I don't know for sure how profitable your business is right now, but if I loved my current mode of income, I'd be hard pressed to take a job somewhere else even for more money, especially if it were a field I was burnt on on doing. Not sure about your specific circumstances, but you obviously got out of engineering for some reason, may want to reflect on those reasons before jumping for the big paycheck. The moving part would be yet another contemplation. Good luck with whatever decision you make Tom. You'll be successful either way, just depends how you define "success".

Just my .02.

Mike

ps, I'm still interested in stripping down engine. PM me some pricing when you get a chance.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Veteran

The flip side to taking a salary for a couple of years is the ability to come home, have a bit of extra cash to upgrade equipment and tools then ease back into the mainstream gradually moving up on services without a ton of concern on how it will be paid for.

We kinda had a similar situation this month come up, discussed it the better part of the summer and decided to take it. Overall it will enhance John's ability to get to a point of 'hobby side money' without much worry all the bills are being paid. Its just us so we don't have to worry about kids (unless my son decides to go to medical school, eeeeeeeeeeks!) but overall its part of the 'mid life phase' which is more difficult to decide which way to go. TJ is probably feeling that part of it so it would make sense both weigh in about the same.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:45 PM
10 Second Club

Take the job.........

You got some loyal people here who will recommend you when you get your shop back up and running! Not to mention your family and well being are much more important than your clientel!!~
Old 10-24-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

It sounds like you know just what to do,...............and I seem to remember hearing something about "bird in hand" Only when you restart, relocate,.. to a bigger market!!,.......HEAR for instance!!! This realy screws up my plans but I admit "things" are taking a hell of a lot longer than I thought they would! Ya you should always take the money!!! some of us will DEFINATLY miss you!!
Old 10-25-2006, 01:57 AM
TECH Junkie

TOM im guna need u this summer