Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Paint bubbling on c-pillar 2001 trans am

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Paint bubbling on c-pillar 2001 trans am

Hey guys, can anyone confirm that this has happened on their cars? My 2001 Firehawk with 11,600 original miles, garage kept, and spotless, has just started developing these small little bubbles in the red paint on both sides of the c-pillars, behind the t-tops. I would like to know if this was a real common thing, and if Pontiac would fix it under some kind of recall? If not how much do you think it will cost? Thanks for any information.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:41 PM
Teching In

We're doing this on our 2001 Camaro right now and there was a bulletin from GM including all 99-02 Camaros and Firebirds. You have to rip off the "applique" piece and the triangles (yes rip it simply won't come off in one piece) and then replace with a new one. The adhesive they used to install these at the factory eats through the material and cannot be fixed. If you caught this while the car was under warranty they would have covered it but now you're on your own. Retail cost for these parts for the Camaro were about $745. We got wholesale and still paid just under $600. Plus you have to have the old one removed and the new one painted and installed. We are doing all this ourselves because we do body and paint work for a living. I'm not sure what a body shop would charge for this but I imagine it's up there. We have many friends with these cars and all have needed this repair within the last few years. I'm not too sure how to post pics but we have photos of the old one coming off and we spent most of the night tonight working on the fit of the new one, let me know if you'd like to see them.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Wow, those triangle pieces are that expensive or am I miss understanding you? Holy crap now I'm really bummed
Old 04-29-2009, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroKatie
We're doing this on our 2001 Camaro right now and there was a bulletin from GM including all 99-02 Camaros and Firebirds. You have to rip off the "applique" piece and the triangles (yes rip it simply won't come off in one piece) and then replace with a new one. The adhesive they used to install these at the factory eats through the material and cannot be fixed. If you caught this while the car was under warranty they would have covered it but now you're on your own. Retail cost for these parts for the Camaro were about $745. We got wholesale and still paid just under $600. Plus you have to have the old one removed and the new one painted and installed. We are doing all this ourselves because we do body and paint work for a living. I'm not sure what a body shop would charge for this but I imagine it's up there. We have many friends with these cars and all have needed this repair within the last few years. I'm not too sure how to post pics but we have photos of the old one coming off and we spent most of the night tonight working on the fit of the new one, let me know if you'd like to see them.
Hi, I live in the United Kingdom and i have my replacement sail panel and apliques(triangle pieces), could you tell me what adhesive to use for new sail panel as i have been told windshield adhesive is ok to use, thanks colin.

Quick Reply: Paint bubbling on c-pillar 2001 trans am