Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How to paint heat extractor and air nostril grills?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to paint heat extractor and air nostril grills?

Just like the title says, I'm just wondering if anyone has an idea as how to re-paint the grills in the hood of my Firehawk. They are looking pretty weird since the paint is coming off them now and revealing an "off white" sort of color underneath. Do they just pop off and go back on? Or are they put on using adhesive tape or some sort?

Side note: also just wondering if it's worth it to buff my car? would it take out the fine scratches?

Thanks a bunch everyone.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

painting the grills might be a bitch as you have to sand them down good so the paint can adhere well and not flake and bubble. sandblasting might be an option, but im not sure if that would just eat away at the cheap plastic. or you could just buy a new set of grills for about $50 (ws6 store has em i believe). theyre stuck on with adhesive

buffing your car is up to you. if your fine with having fine scratches in the paint, leave it. if you want a deep color, rich paint, and swirl-free surface, you better whip out the orbital and get to work. post some pictures of the car up in the appearance and detailing section and youll get a lot of positive feedback on how to go about detailing the car
Old 05-05-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok will do. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

So touching them up while on the car with a gm paint pen woudn't be a good idea?
Old 05-06-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oddwraith
So touching them up while on the car with a gm paint pen woudn't be a good idea?
on the scratches or the the grilles?
Old 05-06-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh sorry, the grills I meant. The scratches that I have are too fine for touch up imo. I do have a few pressure cracks in the paint on the rear bumper though that I used a pen on...not bad But not nice either really lol. Better than before I suppose. But yeah, just wondering if the grills could be touched up without any prep work done to the surface?

Quick Reply: How to paint heat extractor and air nostril grills?