Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Paint gurus, please come in

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Paint gurus, please come in

Hey guys, my buddy is letting me use his car as a guinne pig. He wants me to tint his taillights. But instead of niteshades or film, i want to use a paint gun. What i need to know is, what kind of ratio to mix the black paint and clear. He wants it pretty dark, but obviously not so much that you cant see the lights when theyre on.

What kind of prep is needed on the lights? Just use mineral spirits to get all the wax/grease off them, or is scuffing up the surface involved. Do i need any adhesion promoter? Also, do i thin out the paint/clear mix with anything before putting it in the gun? Ive painted before with rattle can, (i know thats not pro, but im pretty good at it) but i want to give this a try. Just give me all the info you got! Thanks
Old 05-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Teching In

This is what I would do... and ive been using automotive paints for years...

1. scuff the lights
2. spray with plastic adhesion promoter
3. ide mix the black/clear - 30/70 or even 20/80. Its a lot easier to do multiple light coats than to have it too dark the first coat and have to sand it all off. I would also thin it a tiny bit with some laquer thinner - just a splash.

That should pretty much do it.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks alot man, i really appreciate it. Thats exactly the kind of answers i was looking for.

Just a few more questions: can i get all the stuff (paint, clear, adh. promoter, laquer) at an auto parts store? Obviously it wont be the best quality, but my buddy is on a budget, lol. And what do you recommend to scuff the lights, ,like a really fine grit sand paper and wet sand it?
Old 05-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Not really. You need to goto an automotive finish store. Search Automotive Finishes in the yellowpages or something similar to find one in your area. Black is the cheapest color to buy, and you can get the cheapest brand/grade they have for this project. So you can still do it on a budget. But, do it right with the stuff i told you and you will only have to do it once, and it will last.

You dont have to wet sand it. Just use around an 800-1000 grit paper. Just before you paint make sure you clean it with a tack-rag. any questions let me know.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Hey man, thanks again i appreciate it. This is excellent information, that has got me on the right track. This is gonna be a fun experience! Hopefully i can find a place thats open either tomorrow or monday, cause my buddy wanted to try and do it on tuesday. Ill post up some pics of how they turned out. Thanks again.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:01 AM
Teching In

No problem, anytime. have any questions let me know
Old 05-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

Alright i thought of another question. I was looking at the gun today and i was wondering if i should set the compressor for a certain psi. The comp automatically shuts off @ 120 psi, but i have a regulator where i can adjust the pressure that gets to the hose. Also when im all done, how do i go about cleaning the gun so the paint doesnt dry in it and clog all the little orifices up.

EDIT: Heres some pics so you can see what im talking about.
This is the compressor, the gauge on the left is the press. in the tank. And the one on the right with the **** under it is the one i can regulate that goes into the line.

And these are the guns. I am planning on using the one on the left cause its more comfortable and it has more capacity. The little one seems to have a regulator as well. Also, is there anything that i need to adjust on the gun itself?

Last edited by RAWPWR3; 05-24-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Let me try to make his clear and simple. I dont like when people over complicate things...

1. Set the regulator on the compressor to about 80.
2. Take the small regulator off the little gun and put it on the big gun. Set that at around 30-35psi.
3. To adjust the gun.... the bottom **** is Paint Inlet and the Top **** is Fan Adjustment... You want the fan to be full open pretty much.
The paint inlet i adjust by tightening it all the way and squeezing the trigger. Hold the trigger down and loosen the **** until you feel the trigger push back out. That setting should work. If not, about 3/4 open will work fine. Just play with it a little on a cardboard box or something you dont care about laying around. Just dont waste your paint lol.

**check that water seperator often, just turn that dial on the bottom and let the air/water out, then close it.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Awsome thats crystal clear, i like to keep things simple as well lol. I found a couple of automotive paint supply places and im gonna call 'em up tomorrow and hopefully theyll be open. After the compressor has built up some press. and while its still running i always drain the water from the bottom of the tank and then at the seperator before i open the **** to allow press into the lines so moisture doesnt get in my air tools. But thanks for reminding me, after you get to working you kind of forget about that, but now ill keep it in mind. You came through again man, thanks, ill keep you posted.

Last edited by RAWPWR3; 05-24-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:26 AM
10 Second Club

Question tals7

dont know why you would want to destroy a good set of lights but if youdo just wipe them with thinner it will give you the effect you want.

Quick Reply: Paint gurus, please come in