Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Best way to prep the front bumper for paint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 02:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Best way to prep the front bumper for paint?

I had my front bumper painted a few years ago and its already chipped to hell again. I want to do it myself so any advice on prep work and paint would be greatly appreciated. The current paint basically chips if you even look at it so I would imagine I have to sand or strip it all off somehow. Do you need to add any flex additive to the bumper paint? Also what would a decent paint gun be? I'm on a budget so I don't want to spend $400 on a gun. I also have no idea where to pick up automotive paint and supplies.

Here's a pic so you have an idea what I'm working with.

I wouldn't mind doing the hood and rear bumper at the same time if the same paint can be used on the bumper and hood.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sand it all off until it stops chipping. if it doesnt stop, then it ALL has to come off. Then Prime. then paint. Flex additive isnt necessary but you can use it if it makes you feel better. You only need to add it to the clear, not the color. DeVillBiss and Sata are great products. They should have something for you, depending on what you want to do.

The paint can be used for the entire vehicle.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i have some astro guns that are recommended over on autobody101.com

i paid 200 for two hvlp guns. I'm going to be painting my car myself this upcoming winter. also doing it on the cheap and for the fun of learning!

Quick Reply: Best way to prep the front bumper for paint?