Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Scratched up t-top divider bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 12:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratched up t-top divider bar

the bar that separates the t-tops on my trans am has a bunch of little scratches on it. how they got there, i have no idea as it was there when i bought the car. they dont feel too deep or anything and i was looking to fix it up. i want the bar to be a glossy black, to match the paint of my car. i was thinking about taking some sand paper to it, get it nice and smooth, spray it a few times with black, then a few coats of clear. do you think it'd work? what are your opinions on this? heres a few pictures of the bar with all the scratches on it.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try buffing them out first, then paint as you described
Old 05-28-2009, 03:27 AM
Launching!

oh man, thank you for making this thread. I need to do the same thing pretty much, my divider bar isn't scratched but it's all faded. I'm going to try machine polishing it next time, because I tried to do it by hand and it barely did anything.

If anything does anyone know what kind of paint would be good for this? It feels like its metal.... just sand it down and smooth it out, then primer, gloss black paint and clearcoat?
Old 05-28-2009, 04:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thats what i would do
Old 06-01-2009, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

mines really faded also, but im goin to wet sand with 2000 and then buff it out with a rotary with plastic polish. should turn out just like sanding and polishing the tail light filler panel i would think