Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need help trouble shooting paint blisters...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint question??

I finished spraying my project and overall it turned out good. This was my first attempt @ a complete respray. Heres my problem. I sanded through the clear in a few places on the front bumper. So I stopped @ 1000 grit. Smoked on some color just enough to cover and blended. Recleared. Finished sanding the rest of the bumper 1500 then 2000. Then I lightly sanded the reclear with 2000 and buffed. It all buffed out like it should except for the respray areas. So now it looks like fido's butt. So I decided to redo the bumper. I wet sanded w/400 on the face where the respray is. Scuffed the rest with grey scotch bright. Preped for painting and when I shot my 1st color coat there are places on the face (where the respray was) that blistered. They are small
but still not right. I don't think I was a dirty surface. I really preped it well. Should I sand it back down to the primer sealer and start over? Could the blistering be solvents being trapped? It has been 2 wks since first spraying.
I need some advice and I know there are guys on here that know what they are talking about. I found this site by accident and I really like it. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by DML1; 09-03-2009 at 03:47 PM. Reason: changed title
Old 09-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

I would say if it's blistering sand it all off and try again, but get a second opinion. I've had similar problems and once it starts to blister up, it will keep doing it. I hate trying to fade stuff in. You're better off painting the whole bumper or body panel. Just another opinion thought, good luck.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:01 PM

Yea I figured that I probably would need to respray the entire bumper. But I don't why the blisters. There are very small and just in a few places on only on the face. The rest was fine. I thought that you could spray your 2nd the next day just need to scuff. Maybe another tech will join in. Thanks
Old 09-04-2009, 07:02 AM

Anyboby...........
Old 09-04-2009, 06:15 PM

Old 09-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Teching In

What materials are you using? PPG and some other paint manufacturers have problems with paint lifting wherever there is a sand through on a freshly painted surface, such as what you are doing. Something to do with the basemakers or reducers sometimes. You might try sanding those spots back again, and applying a couple light coats of primer. This should help to hold it all down. Allow to dry, and prep for paint. You also might be able to try a sealer as well, or use the primer as a sealer if its reduced enough. good luck
Old 09-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will they show up in pics?

Quick Reply: Need help trouble shooting paint blisters...