Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

quarter panel/rocker replacement 98 camaro *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 09:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98LS16T56
I see what BDYman is saying, but you did what you had to do with the money you had. My hats off to you. I think you did a great job, most people would have scrapped the car. Thanks for saving another f-body! BDYMAN does have a point if you were building a show car/trailer queen... But you actualy drive your Camaro, not let it sit because "I dont want to put miles on it or ever drive it because in 15 years its going to be worth 1/ of what paid for it". These cars are not Exotics, they were mant to be driven and enjoyed... GREAT JOB and effort
The car was almost about to be scrapped, But i found potential in the car and desided i needed to tackle the project and i am glad i did. You couldnt had said it any better that "They were ment to be driven and ENJOYED"
Thanks for the complements
Old 12-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

As a tech Im going to put my 2 cents in and say car looks pretty damn good. I've seen worse "butcher" jobs come out of actual repair shops.

As for the car not being level, that can pose a bit of a problem. However you had the car on jack stands, the suspension was loaded. If the car would have been sitting on the rockers, with the suspension un loaded it could screw with you a bit

As for the gaps, have you ever seen one of these cars brand new?? They're not that great. The front ends are built with shims, the cars are pretty much glued together with seam sealer and bubble gum, which Im sure you noticed once you started tearing into it. I did one of these , pretty much the same type of hit and found out how poorly made these cars are. Here is the link to my build http://www.opherautowurx.com/Portfol...p?g2_itemId=17

As for the materials, for the most part chemicals are chemicals. There are only a couple of ways to make an urethane, a couple ways to make an epoxy, etc.

PPG, Dupont, Standox, Sikkens, Matrix, etc, etc. I've used them all. They all have their pros and they all have their cons. For instance when I worked in other shops PPG used to stand for **** Poor Gloss. I personally do not like it. Material preference is like woman preference. Some like ****, some like ***, some like legs, some like blondes, some like brunettes. You see where Im going with this.

I think for what you had to work with, and what you accomplished you did a fantastic job. Could it have been done better??? Possibly. Im sure if you could do it all over again you may change a thing here and there. If at the end of the day you learned something, had fun and can say " I did that" then it was a success.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^ Very good points!
Old 12-28-2009, 07:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome job..I had worked on quarter panels of 2002 Camaros. Lots of time work on it..
Trans Am (see my sig.) need work on rear end and minor quarter panels. One day, I ll work on thast rear end.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Opher
As a tech Im going to put my 2 cents in and say car looks pretty damn good. I've seen worse "butcher" jobs come out of actual repair shops.

As for the car not being level, that can pose a bit of a problem. However you had the car on jack stands, the suspension was loaded. If the car would have been sitting on the rockers, with the suspension un loaded it could screw with you a bit

As for the gaps, have you ever seen one of these cars brand new?? They're not that great. The front ends are built with shims, the cars are pretty much glued together with seam sealer and bubble gum, which Im sure you noticed once you started tearing into it. I did one of these , pretty much the same type of hit and found out how poorly made these cars are. Here is the link to my build http://www.opherautowurx.com/Portfol...p?g2_itemId=17

As for the materials, for the most part chemicals are chemicals. There are only a couple of ways to make an urethane, a couple ways to make an epoxy, etc.

PPG, Dupont, Standox, Sikkens, Matrix, etc, etc. I've used them all. They all have their pros and they all have their cons. For instance when I worked in other shops PPG used to stand for **** Poor Gloss. I personally do not like it. Material preference is like woman preference. Some like ****, some like ***, some like legs, some like blondes, some like brunettes. You see where Im going with this.

I think for what you had to work with, and what you accomplished you did a fantastic job. Could it have been done better??? Possibly. Im sure if you could do it all over again you may change a thing here and there. If at the end of the day you learned something, had fun and can say " I did that" then it was a success.

that what i was trying to say, but i lack the skills to put it like this guy did, i just do it,

and um are you hiring btw?? need a job badly
Old 12-28-2009, 07:54 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the great advise and complement... the pics you showed my on that link did look pretty similar to mine, but it did a very awesome job on yours.
I agree with the bubble gum glued to gether panels for these cars, when i first got of the panel, down in the bottom rear of the wheel housing there was about 2" x 3" inches thick of seam sealer! there was that much gap they had to fill with it.
I did definatly learn something after doing that and if i could do it again i would do it a little differently. but "I did that" and thats all i wanted to accomplish

Originally Posted by 223HAWK
^^^^ Very good points!
agreed

Originally Posted by Jeff Smith
Awesome job..I had worked on quarter panels of 2002 Camaros. Lots of time work on it..
Trans Am (see my sig.) need work on rear end and minor quarter panels. One day, I ll work on thast rear end.
Thanks... agreed also about the tons of time put into it... i would say it is thee roughest panel on the car to work on
Old 12-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bdyman
that what i was trying to say, but i lack the skills to put it like this guy did, i just do it,

and um are you hiring btw?? need a job badly

I am currently not hiring at this point.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Teching In

A tip for you coming from a autobody tech, look into body waxing the qtr panel and rocker. Body waxing will help prevent rust. I work on mercedes and bmw all day long. Both manufacters body wax whole the car from the factory to prevent rusting. Trust me its great stuff.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS-Power
A tip for you coming from a autobody tech, look into body waxing the qtr panel and rocker. Body waxing will help prevent rust. I work on mercedes and bmw all day long. Both manufacters body wax whole the car from the factory to prevent rusting. Trust me its great stuff.

Excellent point. This stuff does work well, and if applied correctly works wonders.

The backyard way of doing it is using WD40 or similar in all the inside panels.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS-Power
This body waxing i have never heard of it... can i get more details on it or how to do it?
what are all the materials i need and can i do this at anytime?

Excellent point. This stuff does work well, and if applied correctly works wonders.

The backyard way of doing it is using WD40 or similar in all the inside panels.
Sounds interesting, i am not familiar with it at all
Old 12-28-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting, I've always coated the inside panel with some sort of WD chemical while detailing. It seems to make the contaminants/dirt clean off easier, and seemed like a cheap way to keep rust away, is there a permanent form of it? Do you just utilize the normal "wax" as you would on the painted portions?
Old 12-29-2009, 07:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the company s&S makes the stuff, its body schultz, and they also have the corrosion prtection schultz as well, stuff works great, i use it when i section frame rails, a,b pillars, it works great
Old 12-29-2009, 07:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am currently not hiring at this point.

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

im so fucked!!
Old 01-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

Good job...

Next time just remember to use weld thru primer..lol

Its the red stuff in the picture..
Name:  100_0913.jpg
Views: 2803
Size:  70.2 KB
Name:  100_0915.jpg
Views: 2844
Size:  92.7 KB
Old 01-02-2010, 01:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Flip
Good job...

Next time just remember to use weld thru primer..lol

Its the red stuff in the picture..

Thanks
i didnt know about anything like that. What is the benefit of the weld through primer?
I'll remember if i ever do something like that again
Old 01-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Rusting.. then you dont need to worry about bare metal rusting in time .. It helps alittle..

Nice job..
Old 01-03-2010, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thats old technology, 3m makes a new improvved product, and with any weld through primer, before you strike a wled, make sure the other mating surface is and has clean metal, what i do is before i weld with a weld through coating i just take a small screw driver, and scrape off or i just lightly touch the metal just so i get a clean weld

but if you use a resistant spot welder with panle bond and weld through coating there is not need to scribe the metal before welding, just go
Old 01-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Well the NEW 3m stuff you dont have to do that if you dont want too..Alot of people do mark it out of habit....

Read the sheets on the stuff..

resistant spot welder... is that a pro spot welder..lol

When you paint do you use the NEW lazer setup..OOOOO thats not on the market yet but I can use it everyday..

Measuring systems?? what do you know about that?? I eat & sleep this trade because I teach it..

People here are not bodyman they just want help & not be told what they do wrong..There alot of ways to do this trade & get the same results....

Last edited by Flip; 01-03-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you have been around the buisness long enough you would know what a resistant spot weld is and the tool we use to get the same results that the factory uses,
when i worked for cars collision we did welding 2 ways, the common mig weld, and or used the resitant spot welder
i too have used a computer guided measureing system at cars collision, for 2 yrs so i know what your talking about lol dont think your trying to pull a fast one over me ok its not going to work

correct 3m rep told me you dont have to clean out their new product, but i do out of habit, i dont when i use the resistant spot welder,

if you "teach" this trade the trade school should have acsess to all the stuff i just mentioned, so why try to be the bad guy here,

i dont need a laser guide to help me paint, i do just fine,
Old 01-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

I did pull a fast one on you..a resistant spot weld is the same as the pro spot welder.. its the samething as they used on the line..

access...I have it to everything you can get & stuff not on the market yet....

Im not being the bad guy here.. Im just see what you know & dont know..You question what I said so I did the same back.. Just be open to everything.. Your way works for you & my way works for me..As you can see his way worked for him.. Thats all Im saying..You made a comment to me that people to liked to be helped but thats not the case..They dont want to be told your way is the only way..

No hard feelings bdyman..

Last edited by Flip; 01-03-2010 at 04:52 PM.

Quick Reply: quarter panel/rocker replacement 98 camaro *pics*