Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

remove old double sided tape off grnd efx

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default remove old double sided tape off grnd efx

I bought a used wings west ground effect kit. I want to remove the old 3m double side tape that is still on them. What is the FASTEST way to remove it. I have a drill and I also have a sander polisher. Thanks, John
Old 12-22-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

blow dryer/heat gun and your fingers, it wont be fun. but that was the quickest way for me. i try to use goof off and goo gone, but all they did was make a sticky/slimy mess even harder to pull of. the blow dryer did the job for me though. i just removed pretty much all of my embelms from my car about a week or two ago.

just have the heat directed at a spot for about 10 seconds and then with your fingers try to push/roll the tape off the car. just do a little at a time, and you'll eventually get it all off
Old 12-22-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I highly recommend the Astro Smart Eraser Wheel. I've seen it used in removing the adhesive from side molding and it pulls it right off. Just hit the area w/ some quick detailer after your done and you should be good!

http://www.mytoolstore.com/astro/astmat06.html

Old 12-23-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks everyone. John
Old 12-26-2009, 02:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The wheel is a good Idea but a body shop will have laquire thinner (sp) and that is very fast when getting all that gunk off of it...
Old 12-27-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks everyone. I used Christmas day to tacle this job. Didn't have time to get the different tools. I bought a wheel with sandpaper on it and used my sander polisher. It came off fast. if not careful you can change contour of inner ground effects. a used sanding wheel is safer. I made a couple of mistakes but nothing major. The rear has the upper tape that is hard to do with the sanding adapter because it will damage contour of inner ground effct. so I will try the heat gun method. Thanks, John

Quick Reply: remove old double sided tape off grnd efx