Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Body panel experts... I need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Body panel experts... I need some advice.

About a year ago, I went to get some bodywork done, and the job didn't turn out perfect. When looking at the vehicle from the front, the fender, and the driver side of the grill panel covers the tire and wheel, but on the passenger side, it looks like the fender and that side of the grill panel curves in a bit exposing the wheel and tire.

The body guy said the panel on the passengerside was aftermarket, and that the grill had to be bolted to those specs and that's why it looked that way. Now he told me he would get genuine gm parts, I looked under the car while installing some new wheels, and under the grill and the sticker said ycc made in china.... the body panels I bought at the time included with the bill were a new hood, driver side fender, and a grill. The car was involved in a front end collision and those parts had to be replaced.

The paint side of things turned out a little better though it looked like when he painted the grill, he masked up the top of the grill where the hood closes, and you can see the marks from that. It looks as their was a bit of overspray in some areas as well, and on the hood and some other areas it looks as if their was too much clearcoat? used, on the hood it seaped down towards the end of the hood, dried to form a still drip that punctured the new grill.

I'm taking it to another body guy, hoping to fix the imperfections, but I wanted some knowledge about the situation that I'm in now. How is the front of the car supposed to look? Is a little bit of the wheel supposed to show, or not? Are the parts he used genuine gm?

Last edited by Chicago Camaro; 09-06-2010 at 06:04 AM. Reason: added to question